BigFoot Encounter And/or Opinions

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 57TweedTwin, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I can indirectly prove bigfoot exists.

They make shoes that are over size 16 at some places. They wouldn't do that if there was no demand would they.

2. BeBop

BeBop Member

Okay, that was a nice, elementary comeback. Really?

The only conclusion you can draw from that is that definitive proof has not YET been found. There are tons and tons of empirical evidence.

btw, Mr. Reasonable and Pragmatic - http://www.ted.com/talks/edith_widder_how_we_found_the_giant_squid?language=en

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

It is not an elementary comeback, the same thing can be said about Dragons, Griffons, and Unicorns. Explain how it is different. Also you are seeming to assume that definitive proof will someday be found. Applying the same logic to other mythical creatures exposes the flaws.

What do you mean by empirical evidence? Eyewitnesses? Empirical would imply testable data.

4. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I think both sides have drawn a conclusion and the debate seems to keep going around in circles.

I know this has been discussed before but we didn't have giant squid until recently, just a lot of folk lore and fairy tales. Maybe at some point "scientific" evidence that supports the existence of Squatches will be revealed but until then threads like this, YouTube videos, sketchy photos and Bigfoot shows make for loads of entertainment!

---

5. BeBop

BeBop Member

LOL - after I made that post I thought about that very thing, then went back and edited my post to include a link.

6. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Right... and I think that's the point that MOST skeptics miss!

---

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

We are not talking about giant squids, we are talking about bigfoot, more logical fallacy, just because some new creature is discovered this does not mean whatever other creature you can envision is more likely to exist.

Again, I am in 100% agreement with the idea that there are species that exist that we don't currently know about. But the merits of each creature rise and fall on the evidence for that creature, not evidence of other creatures.

The reason I read these threads is because I am interested and open to the possibility, I am interested in reviewing the evidence, unfortunately these threads tend to rely more on hearsay, speculation and conjecture as opposed to and hard physical evidence.

8. Norsegod

Norsegod Member

9. BeBop

BeBop Member

Never said it did - just using that video to point out the fact that for hundreds of years the giant squid was just a tale, and that they didn't exist except in the imagination of the people that reported seeing them, right?

10. BeBop

BeBop Member

As of today, that is.

11. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Depends on what you mean by "equally valid" ..... I'd say no, they're not equally valid

We don't get regular reports of unicorns, dragons or griffons, but we do get bigfoot reports ......

That doesn't mean bigfoot actually exists ...

But if you think in terms of probabilities ... there's a probability that these critters still exist ... it's a very small even infintesimally small probability ...

and based on anectdotal evidence the probability that bigfoot exists is slightly greater than these beasts .... but I'd say not much greater .... the odds are certainly against its existence

There's also the possibility that our ancestors actually encountered unicorns, dragons, and griffons ... but for some reason there is no physical evidence

The best explanation for some mythical creatures I've heard is misidentification of fossils .. so they existed, but what our ancestors imagined and how modern scientists interpret the fossils are very different

:dunno

12. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

But we had physical evidence (including specimens) of giant squid. This is just how they captured it on film. Considering they live in a place far, far more remote than the Pacific Northwest (or farms of Ohio), it is no great surprise that it tool us a long time to capture one on film.

We have no such physical evidence for BF. Nor do we have any real empirical evidence, just unconfirmed "sightings", which are simply not evidence on their own.

The problem with this line of thinking is that on one hand you acknowledge that it's possible BF exists in some very remote area, but as part of your proof you cite the many sightings... most of which are not in areas particularly remote (farms, suburbs, parks, etc.). It can't be both.

But it wasn't just a tale. Giant squid were a known species in ancient times, as they occasionally wash up on shore, they have been found in the stomach of sperm whales, etc. The TED talk deals with capturing them in their natural habitat. This is in no way like BF, which has been "sighted" from sea to shining sea but not left a body, bone, or fossil anywhere on the continent. Hmm.....

Peace,

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  13. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

No. This:

Furthermore, not only was the Giant Squid hard to find given that it lives in the deep ocean, it doesn't even leave a skeleton behind (just a beak, if you happen to find that). So -- a mysterious giant animal that lives in a remote hostile environment, and which rots away to goo within days of its death... and we still have been finding traces of them for centuries.

Bigfoot? Not so much.

14. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Right, like dragons, unicorns, griffons, pterodactyls, thunderbirds, chupacabra, leprechauns and bigfoot. :)

All I am saying is, sometimes a lack of evidence means there is no such thing. Bigfoot seems to have more sightings than these other creatures, but there still does not seem to be any physical evidence. Given that people claim to have seen these things near populated cities in just about every state in the Union, if we take all these sightings seriously, then we have a very large animal with a very wide geographic distribution, I just find it hard to believe that with that if one exists we would not have found some physical evidence of it now.

People like to compartmentalize it to the pacific northwest, which is fine, does that mean we should ignore all other sightings? Gurtz claims to have pictures of one in Ohio farm fields. I can understand something going unobserved in the dense forest, but in relatively populated and sparsely treed farm fields?

I have no doubt people have observed things they could not readily identify, but there are lots of plausible explanations that don't require the appeal to a yet unproven creature.

Moreover, with the prevalence of cameras (specifically game cameras), human presence, development, accessibility of forests, the lack of verifiable evidence starts to mount more and more, and in my mind, compels a particular conclusion.

Of course with new data, we should reevaluate, so if someone comes forward with verifiable proof, I will have no issue admitting my current conclusion needs reevaluation.

15. Norsegod

Norsegod Member

The first dead giant squid was found almost 500 years ago.

Two more were found within the next 100 years one of which was still alive and in the process of dying.
    These were documented finds and not "tales".

16. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Take your facts elsewhere buddy, this is the Pub.

17. Structo

Structo Member

I thought I saw one in the woods once, but it turned out to be Zakk Wylde.

18. Gurtz

Gurtz Senior Member

Interesting... Are people reporting sightings of Unicorns, dragons, and Griffons?

19. Norsegod

Norsegod Member

20. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Right. Seeing or hearing something you can't identify doesn't mean it's BF (or something else unknown to humans). People often trot out the Les Stroud vids as "proof," but all he did was heard something he couldn't identify. And that happens to just about anyone who spends a lot of time in the forest. That doesn't mean he heard BF.

Peace,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.