bigger cab for a Super Champ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alainguitars, Dec 19, 2005.

1. alainguitars

alainguitars Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of having a bigger cab with a 1x12 built for my Super Champ. Who can do this? At 18 watts, this amp deserves a bigger cabinet and a larger speaker. I don't have any schematics or measurements. I think this amp would be the perfect blues jam amp to lug around.

2. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

3. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

With my Super Champ, I replaced the stock speaker w/ an alnico MojoTone 10"....then, I put a jack in the place where the speaker wire came out of the chassis. This is a reversable mod, because the jack is the same size as the grommet that the wire feeds through......then I use my champ w/ an external 1x12 cab....but, if I want to have the original 10" configuration, I still have it. It's pretty cool that way...costs less too!! :) Good luck !!

4. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

It is a superb amp for lugging around. I too made the mod to attach an external speaker cabinet. Last night I used it through a 2x10 Jenkins and it sounded great. I also use it by itself with the stock speaker. Here's some clips of me playing it at another blues jam. Just a 335 and the Super Champ, plugged straight in, no pedals, stock speaker.

http://www.blueartharts.com/bluesjam.htm

The Dec 7th clips are the ones.

5. teddys

teddys Member

Alain, Crusty is the way to go!!

6. teddys

teddys Member

Got a few crusty cabs here, check em out

7. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

I'm sitting here playing my SC through a basketweave 4X12 with G12H 30watters and it sounds like GOD! I vote for 4 of em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn

8. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Crusty Cabs can do it, no prob. Steve is a pro.

WOT...Any guy that'll meet me in the Taco Bell parking lot and buy my AC30 sight unseen/unheard, has 'the sickness' as bad as I do, plus instant cred. I even kept the speakers. Steve/Crusty called later to say it was an 'amp of the gods' after he put a couple of Red Fangs in it. What's not to like?

Finally, I have the SC's bigger brother, the Princeton Reverb II. Bought it new. The 12" makes the difference. Mullard 6V6s, Telefunken/Mullard preamp tubes, and a JBL D120F (JBL in it for 20 years, too). I own 20 amps (Matchless, VHT, Bogner, Rivera, Fender Pro Reverb, Carvin, yadda yadda) but the PRII will be last to leave.

Slick51

9. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hello bbarnard,

I see you have a Allen Old Flame. I look at that one a great deal.

How do you like it?

10. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Robert at TruTone Custom Cabs made me a BEAUTIFUL coco brown/maroon grille w/white piping 1X12 cab for my SuperChamp that I cuold not be happier with. His work is impeccable, prices fair and he's a really nice dude to boot. Highly recommended. BTW, then I loaded it up with an Eminence Tonker, some JJ 6V6's, an Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7, a Mullard CV4024 and a RCA 6C10. Sounds freakin' incredible but the best part is blowing folks minds when it hangs with a loud band.

Badback - I also have an Allen Old Flame and it's great amp. After owning a number of BFDR's, SFDR's, SFVR's, BFSR's and 1 Twin, I've sold them all and kept the Allen Old Flame - it's that good! Not too big, loves pedals, incredible build quqlity from Dave and not priced through the roof. Probably my favorite gigging amp these days.

11. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

You know it's good but I find myself playing the Super Champ or the Tweed more right now. I think part of it is that it actually doesn't sound that great hooked up to the Jenkins cab while the Super Champ sounds incredible hooked to the Jenkins. Not sure if it is because of the Eminence Legends in the cab or not. They are alnicos but it sounds somewhat strident through that cab. I did have an Old Flame combo for a while that had the ceramic speakers in it and that sounded great. It is a very versatile amp with the raw control. Clean to mean with the twist of a knob.

12. onemind

onemind Member

Off Topic- Does anyone have a tip for getting better overdriven tones from the SC, different tubes, settings, etc.

Steve

13. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
  14. myles111

myles111 Member

I have done the 12" Vox Blue combo with a tweed champ and it is pretty amazing. The Super Champ is a killer amp too and if you want a great cab custom done contact Jeff Earl at http://www.jdesigncabs.com He is the one that builds the cabs for Fargen Amplifiers and does amazing work.