Bigger Output Tranny In any amp?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JubileeMan 2555, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Just wondering if you can put a larger then stock Output transformer into any amp without modifying it (as long as one sticks with the correct push/pull tranny, or liniar tranny)?

I have a musicmaster Bass that I am thinking of putting in a Twin OT into since its just laying around. (its actually a super tranny built to the size of a twin). All the wires match up to the stock tranny, but I'm sure there are impedence/voltage issues.

does anyone know?

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Yes, there are impedence issues. They will all both put out sound, but they will sound different. Larger doesn't always mean louder or better. Depends on the situation. If it is a custom wound transformer it is hard to say exactly how it will react to the situation without know the actual specs of the tranny.

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

Impedance issues will occur if the number of tubes is different (i.e. four 6L6's for a Twin, two for a Deluxe), and if the tubes have different plate resistance.

6V6 and 6L6 have the same plate resistance, so it is possible to use a transformer built for a 6L6 amp into a 6V6 amp. For example, you could put a Deluxe transformer into a Princeton Reverb.

I agree with Adam. Sometimes the bigger output transformer sounds better, but not always.

4. BLC

BLC Member

Two hours North Of Atlanta. Where they made that m
    I believe a musicmaster bass has 2 x 6L6's and a Twin has 4. The primary ohms on the Twin is approx 2K ..on the other amp around 4 to 5 k. This would not be a good replacement.

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Well the transformer in question is a twin SIZED tranny, but it was custom made from New Sensor to be used in a super reverb. It only has 2 leads and I'm assuming the builder had the intention of this tranny using 2x6l6 tubes.

With this info, do you think it will be fine?

BTW, the musicmaster Bass uses either 6v6 OR 6aq5 tubes.

6. Swarty

Swarty Member

A Super Reverb OT would want a 2ohm load w/ 2x6L6s. But because of the plate resistance difference it would probably be better with a 4ohm load w/ 6V6s. Personally I'm a big fan of oversized OTs.