Bigger Tannies + 6l6 in a Tweed Deluxe build...?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JubileeMan 2555, Jan 21, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Is there anything I should be aware of that needs to be done if I make a Tweed Deluxe amp build with everything the same as a typical Deluxe circuit but with the output and power trannies of a super reverb? (I would then use 6l6 tubes and a SS rectifier)

I'm assuming I'd need to up the power filtering. But how much?

2. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

You're basically talking about a 5E5 (narrow panel)Pro minus one of the preamp tubes/channels. It employ's 2x16uF caps before the B+ dropping resistor. You could go with 40uF 500v cap if you need the space, 2x20uF would be better. You might consider using a choke between the OT & the screens instead of the dropping resistor.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thanks...

Yeah, I will probably use a choke since this project is inspired by a full set of extra trannies I pulled from a project that I upgraded to Mercury Trannies. So i've got a Super PT, Twin sized OT, and a choke to use.

Thanks! I'll probably try to fit 2x20uf filters since it would be a lot safter since the voltage from my PT is nearing 470...

4. jessie

jessie Member

I built a Tweed Deluxe last summer for a guy who wanted " Neil Young ". I used a Blackface DR PT, 6L6s', 5U4, choke,( which I finally removed ), and a Super/Bassman OT. After A/B-ing the tone with/without the choke several times, I decided that the choke,( with this particular Heyboer PT, which has a HV secondary of 350-0-350 ) sounded sterile, and took away the "fun-factor" when playing lead. Also... I would use the 470 ohm screen , and 1.5k grid resistors on the output tube sockets, ( like a Blackface ).

5. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

i recently built a 5E5-ish head for a local band---he wanted a high headroom version as he uses a pedal for OD tones---- he also wanted a brighter overall tone response---- single channel--- both sides of V1 run in parallel---- 125C1A choke---- 5U4GB rec--- @30 watts output into an old 4x12 Fender Bassman 100 cab.
    He's very happy with it and the band's lead singer/2nd guitarist has been talking to me about building a similar head for him but voiced somewhat differently for his requirements.................gldtp99

6. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Check to see how Steve Gupta (SDG Vintage Amps) does it with his "Proluxe" amp. It's a 5E3 circuit but with larger iron and adjustable bias. 5AR4 and 6L6s or a 5Y3 and 6V6s....