• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Biggest Guitar Influences

Nicely done. I do not have any video, nor would it make much difference. I do not feel my playing mirrors my greatest guitarist influence. That said...I love Jeff Beck. Since I was a young boy. Oddly, it was his colaboration with Rod Stewart on "Flash" that did it for me. Mediocre song on a less than mediocre album, but, Jeff's work on People Get Ready grabbed me good when it came out. His sense of melody and phrasing is perfection to me. Zappa is a close second.

ellsworthman

The Geezer of Gear
Gold Supporting Member
Nicely done. I do not have any video, nor would it make much difference. I do not feel my playing mirrors my greatest guitarist influence. That said...I love Jeff Beck. Since I was a young boy. Oddly, it was his colaboration with Rod Stewart on "Flash" that did it for me. Mediocre song on a less than mediocre album, but, Jeff's work on People Get Ready grabbed me good when it came out. His sense of melody and phrasing is perfection to me. Zappa is a close second.
Beck and Zappa is an interesting juxtaposition. I would suspect I would like your music collection.

Beck and Zappa is an interesting juxtaposition. I would suspect I would like your music collection.
I find they overlap in odd ways. Zappa has a slower solo on Jazz From Hell ( drawing a blank at the moment) that always reminds me of cause we've ended as lovers. (I put Steve Vai's Some Call it Sleep in there too).

Btw...I was just about to comment on your other thread when I got an alert. I've only liked Burst Buckers in the Nighthawk studio they put out a couple years back. I always attributed it to the longer scale. I prefer 57s, or Rio Grande Humbuckers.

GulfportBound

My number one influence since age fourteen was, is, and will always be B.B. King.

Others? In no order of preference:

Duane Allman
Mike Bloomfield
Kenny Burrell
Albert Collins
Grant Green
Peter Green
Buddy Guy
Teenie Hodges
Eddie Jones (Guitar Slim)
Albert King
Robert Jr. Lockwood
Lonesome Sundown
Magic Sam
Curtis Mayfield
Wes Montgomery
Fenton Robinson
Otis Rush
T-Bone Walker

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Joe Pass was an awesome player. My friend became sort of his protege when we were just out of high school. I even saw him at his home cause I use to give my buddy a lift. I am not the biggest Jazz fan. But Joe is beyond ridiculous. I love to hear him not repeat himself for ten minutes. What rocker could ever do that? NONE!

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
BB King
Chuck Berry
Ian Moore
Bugs Henderson
Eric Clapton
Angus & Malcolm Young
Jimmy Page
Buddy Guy
Kid Ramos
Nick Curran
Hollywood Fats
Jimi Hendrix

Last edited:

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
the short list goes somethin like...

james burton
joe walsh
brent mason
eric clapton

jo2012

Eric Clapton
George Harrison
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Drew Shirley
Joe Bonamassa

Turi

Brian Setzer
SRV
Ian Moss
Mark Knopfler
Bruce Springsteen
Lindsay Buckingham
Chris Cheney

Those are the ones I feel have a direct influence on my playing, or at least my thoughts when playing.

There was a guy in my town called Matt Day who seemed to capture 'emotion' in his guitar playing, that guy is probably the biggest influence.

I always want what I play to have meaning, or to have 'feels', and he's the guy who showed me this is a 'thing'.
...I don't know any of his licks or anything so there's not audible influence on my playing though.

Serenity

Keith Richards and Rich Robinson, i love that open G playing, and these two are some of the best rhythm players in the business.
Chuck Berry is also a big influence, as is Ry Cooder for slide.

Trending Topics