Biggest innovation in guitars in the last decade?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Caprica, Sep 14, 2017.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Incredible hype over pedals
    That are not all that great
    Great cheap pedals
    Great cheap guitars

m.e. likes this.
  2. kafka

kafka Member

Maybe you could put the ashtray on, and be the only Strat player since Buddy Holly to use it. It's probably still in the case pocket.

3. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Brian May put stainless steel frets on the Red Special guitar that he built, circa 1970 (I don't remember the exact date, late 60s maybe). Supposedly the guitar still has the original frets. At any rate, they've been around for at least that long.

4. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

The Graphtech LB-63 Ghost bridge? A Floyd Rose with piezos; but then again, I remember Ibanez doing something like that for a while. Maybe the Variax guitars. But yeah, improvements in playable cheap guitars is a biggie. Chinese $20 pedals that sound decent? Better power supplies for pedalboards?

5. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

Clip-on Tuners?

Digidog and smallbutmighty like this.
  6. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

The Kemper since it's an evolution/revolution of the digital "modeling" concept. Ergonomic guitars like the Strandberg becoming mainstream including fanned frets. Plug and play electronics for volume, tone, pickup selector and pickups. Computer/online-based lessons and musical tools like Guitar Pro and computer-based mixing/recording software like Protools or Garage Band.

7. Paul Rathjen

Paul Rathjen Member

Guitar technology hasn't changed really in 50 years has it? I mean they have tried with robot tuners, and circuit board electronics but to say "the biggest innovation " to me implies an improvement, and nothing has improved guitar technology really, which is why everyone still has a wet dream for something vintage.

There have certainly been innovations in the manufacturing process, and the amount of perfection, quality and assembly of different woods, laminates etc, can be made faster and probably better in terms of durability than older building methods in some cases. Is CNC perfection and perfectly laminated neck through guitars better? That's probably subjective.

If I had to answer the question I would probably put the biggest innovation within the real of computers, amp modeling, digital effects etc, which have changed how people use guitars to make music. Still slightly subjective to compare modern guitar music to the classics...obviously...but certainly the recording, processing, and production of music because of computers has changed all of music.....51% in a positive way?

adauria likes this.
  8. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Came here to post this. Easily the biggest innovation in the decade. Cheap, silent, good for all instruments, and eliminates the need to plug into anything. I see them everywhere.

9. guitz

guitz Member

Kemper profiling amp

10. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Oooohhh....good one! Absolutely.

12. xzacx

xzacx Member

The Universe has been in production since 1990 if we are talking modern instruments, but they concept has been around far longer.

scolfax likes this.
  13. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Member

It really depends if you mean the instrument specifically or things within the guitar universe.

If the former, I'd be boring and just say the trickle down of innovation and quality into low cost instruments. You can get so much guitar for so little money now, it's just ridiculous.

If the latter, I'd say the integration of guitar software between specific devices and computers. It is so easy to get whatever sound you want on whatever platform due to the ease of re-amping, modelers that double as USB interfaces, and computer software amp simulators.

14. Caprica

Caprica Member

oooh good one, but according to Wikipedia clip ons are older than 10 years:

"The clip-on tuner was invented in 1995 by Mark Wilson of OnBoard Research Corporation, which marketed it as The Intellitouch Tuner Model PT1."

15. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

Best innovation for guitars IMO is the high quality and low prices of imports. You can get an Epiphone SG for $300 new, and $200 used. 1,000,000 x better than "entry level" guitars from 20 years ago.

m.e., gerg6 and cam.man67 like this.
  16. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

he built that thing in the mid 60's believe it or not.

17. windmill

windmill Member

Headstock tuners

Everyone has them and a lot of players use them after every song.

18. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

The advent of the directional instrument cable.

gerg6 and Chandyland like this.
  19. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

20. Caprica

Caprica Member

Wireless in ear monitors?

Chandyland likes this.