Biggest priority for sound and inspiration: More amps & effects, or a bigger variety of guitars?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Anthony Newcomb, Jul 10, 2018.

Biggest priority for Sound and inspiration?

1. More variety of Amps, Cabs, and Effects

31.1%
  2. More variety of Guitars

33.3%
  3. As many of each as I can get!

35.6%
  1. david57strat

david57strat Member

If only modeling (like a Kemper) wasn't so crazy expensive. Relatively speaking, it's much cheaper than buying a hundred amps (or even ten lol), and certainly less strenuous on the back, for anyone gigging; but still, it's a big cash outlay I've never been able to make. At least, not thus far.

I only own one electric and one acoustic amp. Then, it's three guitars, and a bass, all of which have radically different sounds. I don't really plan on buying any others, for a while; so it's been mostly pedals and rack equipment that led me to want to do something new with my music, more than the guitars. Of course, I have yet to own an Les Paul (once again), or a nice 335, which I believe would lead me to be up at all hours of the night, making new music.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  2. riffy

riffy Member

Practice drugs?

mbenigni likes this.
  3. twotone

twotone Member

Pickup position maybe, but I don't find myself playing differently with either guitar.

dmock66 likes this.
  4. GT40

GT40 Member

I must admit I have never seen gear as the source of inspiration. The desire to perform is what does it for me.

And while I am more comfortable with my guitar or amp because of familiarity, I have played all manner of borrowed guitars, house amps, or even straight into the PA through my digital board. I even played an impromptu set at a party on a beat up old nylon strung guitar with two missing strings.
    The song, the vibe, the energy is always what drives the bus in terms of inspiration and creativity.

Maybe that's why I rarely find I want to buy new gear :eeks

mbenigni and Anthony Newcomb like this.
  5. MartinC

MartinC Member

I voted amps, cabs and effects ... BUT:
    • The bigger factor than all of the options is "more quality time", when I'm not being interrupted and I'm not so tired that my brain can't put two notes together
    • The guitar vs amp vs pedals thing changes over time. I am totally loving my Suhr Classic at the moment. I've never not loved it, but at times found inspiration in new guitars. Inspiration has come of late by having a new amp (Katana Artist), having sold off my smallish pedal collection and valve amp. The Katana covers all the old bases and many more. This will do me for a while, but no doubt, a new and shiny something will call out to me at some stage. Besides, life is short, and time needs to be spent with a wide range gear while you're here

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Silver Supporting Member

Well it's definitely different strokes for different fokes when it comes to what inspires, and I can certainly respect that :) I agree that a live jam with friends and other musicians in a band setting can be very fun and inspiring.

But when it comes to gear in general, I guess I'm a bit different than some as I'm kinda picky and I'd rather just sit out a jam session and just listen, than feel caged by the limitations of an instrument or other pieces in the chain. If I'm not going to enjoy the experience fully, than I'm out...especially if all I had to play was a guitar with a couple strings missing like you mentioned. Nope, not gonna happen...I wish I was that care free and daring haha

Technically, gear "is" just gear, but imo there is bad to ok gear, and there is really Great gear...and depending on which type I'm working with has an impact on my mental state, which in turn has a direct effect on my creativity and motivation.

I've played guitars that were setup so badly and sounded so horrendous that I'd rather play nothing at all than suffer another minute with them in my hands, and because of that, creativity and desire was non existent in my brain. But I've played guitars that are so responsive and soulful that I often forget about my surroundings and just get lost in the sound...and end up playing things I've never even thought of playing because of the ease of use and great tone, sustain..etc. Same can be said about physical amps and cabs, pedals, digital modeling, and effects.

I feel most "free" in my mind to create when I don't feel held back by the quality or limitations of the gear I'm working with.

I can feel inspired to write music by other things in my life besides gear, but if the gear doesn't sound good for the inspired ideas I want to create musically, then "poof"...my inspiration is usually gone :dunno

mbenigni and Riffzilla like this.
  7. sixeight

sixeight Member

A lot of things can be inspiring:
    - a guitar with a very different feel or sound. I do not have a dobro myself, but when I visit my brother, he has one. It is very inspiring to play.
    - Open tunings. They will inspire different voicings and chords.
    - And I find I play more on my acoustic guitar and I experiment more with sounds on my VG99/Helix/GR55/GP10 rig. Both are fun. But I learn more new techniques on my acoustic.

8. Anthony Newcomb

I probably should've just kept the poll limited to "Biggest priority for getting variations in sound"...and left the "inspiration" part out of the poll. I think a lot of people understand what I was getting at with this but a lot of the focus in posts seem to lean towards the inspiration part of the question. I was really meaning to focus on sounds...and was thinking that the variety of good sounds usually help with inspiration (at least it can for me) so I merged the two together which I probably shouldn't have done because what is inspirational to some people is vastly different for others.

mbenigni likes this.
  9. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Do you actually own a GT40? That would be enough inspiration for me. :eeks

10. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

That's how I understood the question, and answered accordingly. Guitars are about playability; amps and effects are about tones. At least as far as electric/solid body stuff goes. Mostly. See above. :)

When it comes to "inspiration" I think everyone would agree you have to live a whole life for that. Smell the flowers. Make some mistakes. Chase a girl (or guy as applicable.) Find religion, or lose it. Get pi$$ed about something, get over it. All that stuff...

As for generally getting some musical momentum going, @MartinC nails it. You have to put in the time, and circumstances must allow (or be made to allow) for that. I haven't sorted it out yet; maybe I need a day planner. :dunno

11. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

I think the two work together. I think it all starts with the guitar. I have come to own a few guitars that inspire me in different ways. Then my Helix is there to play to the strengths of that particular instrument. Having a digital rig presents fewer compromises to me, when plugging in disparate sounding guitars.

12. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

This is the combination I need for inspiration, although I can't get it out of my head that I need a Rick Turner Model 1....

[​IMG]

13. Anthony Newcomb

Nice! I've played a few in my time (long time ago) and remember liking Hamer a lot. I was going through my Carvin stage at that time. The two brands I'd like to obtain again...great playing guitars for sure ;)

jaded_musician and mbenigni like this.
  14. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

NICE!

[​IMG]

jaded_musician likes this.
  15. ljholland

ljholland Supporting Member

I think looping has been the most inspiring thing I’ve done with guitar.

MartinC and Jdstrat like this.
  16. themass

themass Supporting Member

trying to get musically inspired by buying more gear is not all that effective. Although I’m sure it inspires the manufacturers to create new gear!

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

Yep. Though my recent pedal sell off included my Boss RC-2 ... far too complicated a beast ... enough for me to not bother using it.

I've still got around $600 left unspent in the gear kitty, so highly likely a Ditto is in my near future.

I also find good quality backing tracks are inspiring ... Coffee Break Grooves in particular

18. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

It’s an interesting question. Inspiration can be an elusive beast. I’ll go for days without playing, or even hanging out in my studio. But I never go a day without reading about gear.

I would estimate that I spend twice as much time reading about modelers as I do guitars. [edit: I rarely read about effects, even in the context of modeling.]

But when I do go plug in, it’s the guitar/pickup combo in my hands that sends me in a direction. If I grab a strat, I play different songs and in different styles than if I grab a LP or a semi hollow body or an acoustic.

I use a fairly small number of amps and effects when I play. I know that I’m prone to going down rabbit holes, so I won’t revisit IRs or other peoples’ patches, etc. Can’t even bear the thought, TBH. But I want some more guitars. Specifically, I want to put together more guitars, and then hear them through the amps and effects I currently have.

So I voted guitars.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    MartinC and Anthony Newcomb like this.
  19. Anthony Newcomb

I can really relate to this. For me, when recording music and changes occur in different parts of the song, like calm to hard or fast to slow...basically mood shifts, I don't really turn to a different amp so much as I turn to a different guitar. I usually create very long instrumentals in which the mood can change dramatically. I also sometimes like to use different guitars when layering a left/right rhythm. I just get better variations sonically using different guitars than using a ton of different amps and effects.

And as you said, different guitars can send me in different directions during the creation process.

Jdstrat likes this.