biggest SNL star of all time?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Vic Interceptor, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

Chris Rock was preaching Eddie Murphy was the biggest SNL star of all time. I say Ackroyd. Ferrell and Sandler are in the argument as well. What say you?

2. JPF

JPF Member

Murray . He's excelled in comedy and has proven himself across a wide range of art house and major release dramas. Also, he emceed one of Clapton's Crossroads concerts...! Dan Aykroyd is right up there as well...

3. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Eddie Murphy by a long shot.
    So many reasons why but the big one: He singlehandedly kept the show alive in the "Ebersol" years after the original cast and Lorne Micheals left.

Norm MacDonald just posted a story about Eddie on his Twitter account, here's his words about Eddie that show how much everyone who's ever been on SNL appreciates him.

...and last Sunday night before SNL40 aired...
    source: http://gawker.com/how-eddie-murphy-almost-played-bill-cosby-on-snl40-by-1686690335

4. gigs

gigs Member

Bill Murray. Not even a close 2nd for anyone else.

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

6. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

John Belushi was the iconic SNL star in the Murray/Chase/Martin/Ackroyd/Murphy/Candy/Radner era .... it was his main vehicle, I think, because of his early death.
    But lots of "greats" back then ... it was quite a time!

7. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Eddie Murphy. No contest.
    -
    Austin

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I think Chris Rock was focusing on the his impact on SNL (and to him personally). And while the original cast was obviously critical to its ongoing success by getting things started with a bang, when Eddie Murphy came on the show was in real jeopardy of getting cancelled. It's not an exaggeration to say he saved the show, because for a while he WAS the show and the reason people turned in.

We've discussed who the "biggest SNL star" is before, but there really isn't a single good metric to use. As I recall from the other thread, some people were keen to use total box office from movies as the deciding factor (I think Mike Myers wins that race), but it doesn't take into account cultural impact; critical acclaim; "star" factor; television and other media/endeavors; consistency; inflation, etc.

I don't think there is a single right answer, especially when you consider how many huge stars have come out of SNL. I think Eddie had all of that for a while and it's easy to make an argument he is the biggest star. But you could make strong arguments for Bill Murray or Mike Myers (for example), though their careers are entirely different and hard to compare. I don't think Myers has ever had anywhere near the sheer "star power" that Eddie Murphy had (or has). But he has created some huge movie franchise characters (Wayne, Austin Powers, Shrek). Bill Murray has had a completely unique and awesome career too.

... as have Will Farrell, Tina Fey, Dan Ackroyd, Robert Downey, jr., Billy Crystal, Jimmy Fallon, Al Franken, Christopher Guest, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Kristen Wiig, and on and on and on

Interesting question: If you could have any one of their careers, whose would you have? I'd probably take Bill Murray's because he has done so many different things and I like to mix it up.

Peace,

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

Eddie Murphy. I don't even think it's a close call...

11. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

12. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Bill Murray.

And he's not frozen in stand-up resin!

13. kwcsports

kwcsports Member

I say Eddie Murphy.

14. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

15. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

16. JPB2

JPB2 Member

Eddie Murphy

17. sa1126

sa1126 Member

In terms of overall success/$$ I would have to guess Will Ferrell. That guy has been in a ton of movies and is probably worth a fortune.

18. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

19. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Beverly Hills Cop slaughtered Ghost busters in receipts. People would see the movie over and over. They would see Ghostbusters once or twice. I love Ghostbusters, and I love Bill Murray, but this is no contest. Eddie Murphy by a landslide. Murphy was in a much higher rock star stratosphere that dehumanizes people. He was with the likes of Michael Jackson, Muhammad Ali,Michael Jordan, Elvis, Lennon, etc. It really took its toll IMO. He can't deal with other people the same as he use to. Classic Flight of Icarus stuff there.

20. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

net worth:
    Eddie Murphy 85 million
    will Ferrell 80 million
    bill Murray 140 million
    Adam Sandler 300million