Biggest sounding/ lightest combo you've heard?

Silent Sound

but there are people like me, who live in nyc, and we have to lug our gear up and down stairs. a hand truck just makes it more inconvenient.

Then buy one with large diameter inflatable wheels and get a strap to secure everything to the dolly. When going up or down stairs, just stay on the top side and pull it over each step, one at a time.

I've go to the gym often, so any amps weight isn't a problem for me. Getting them to fit in my car, however, has caused me to buy and sell a few over the years. In any case, I have had to deliver refrigerators, water heaters, window AC units, and tons of other stuff that's way heavier than an amp, and haul it up several flights of stairs on many occasions. Trust me, it's MUCH easier with a good dolly! Easier still if you have two people!

ecbluesman54

Redplates always look so cool to me.
My Carr got me on this light/big sounding combos.

image_zps48a5b103.jpg

my redplate blackloop is a bit bigger than a fender champ, is 40 watts, 35 lbs., and sounds HUGE

DSCN0457_zps2f8a4a3e.jpg

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
The Carr Rambler 1X12 also punches well above its weight class in so far as sounding real huge when up at 50% vol or above, and its light weight too.

sl33py

Silver Supporting Member
My V3M combo is 36lb and sounds pretty big and loud. Depends on your style though, it's ridiculously high gain in general, but 3 channels are useful :)

radiohead

Then buy one with large diameter inflatable wheels and get a strap to secure everything to the dolly. When going up or down stairs, just stay on the top side and pull it over each step, one at a time.

I've go to the gym often, so any amps weight isn't a problem for me. Getting them to fit in my car, however, has caused me to buy and sell a few over the years. In any case, I have had to deliver refrigerators, water heaters, window AC units, and tons of other stuff that's way heavier than an amp, and haul it up several flights of stairs on many occasions. Trust me, it's MUCH easier with a good dolly! Easier still if you have two people!

it's fine if you have your own car.. but trust me.. here in nyc where you might not have that luxury.. carrying heavy amps.. no matter how much you lift or bench.. it's gonna be a hassle, since you'll sometimes find yourself in a cramped cab or worse.. in the subway.

JPF

The Quilter Aviator has caught my eye - I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Frome

Every time I fire this little guy up I am blown away with the big sound it creates.

Here's George's official description:
This is an Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler mini generation 2 amp. It is the new evolved version of the Working Dog amp, not yet available. We ran a few more amps for the Philly Guitar Show and will continue to run a few at a time to keep these available on Ebay until an official product launch. The g2 design has a new look and everything turned out better than expected. The g2 includes a new smaller size at barely 22" x 15" x 10" at 33 lbs. It includes our new Neo 12" speaker that has been working out so well with our amps and speaker cabinets. The Final Output Control knob now goes down to 5% of the 6L6's 40 watts of power, allowing for quiet "bedroom level" volumes (and it still sounds like a real amp at those lower levels). Gig with it, play it at home, record with it in the studio, it is a real, hand crafted, PTP, tube amp made here in the Phila, PA area.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa Express 5:25 1x12. Slightly heavier than a DRRI but way bigger (and better IMO) sounding

Mrosinski11

my redplate blackloop is a bit bigger than a fender champ, is 40 watts, 35 lbs., and sounds HUGE

DSCN0457_zps2f8a4a3e.jpg

Curious how the Axe FX II sounds through the RedPlate. I have an AstroDust and have considered getting an Axe FX. Always imagined it would sound great. RedPlates have fantastic power sections. If you ever get the urge to record some clips.....

Lullabies

Mesa Express 5:25 1x12. Slightly heavier than a DRRI but way bigger (and better IMO) sounding

Yepp the 5:50 is about the same weight and LOUD AS HELL!

Not to mention the contour knob that really adds to the half stack sound in a 1x12 package when cranked.

Someone said Mesa 1x12s are the biggest sounding combos on here and in my experience that is true. Although some are weighty that is one of the reasons I chose the 5:50 express over the Mark V and Electra Dyne. In comparison the 5:50 feels like a feather!

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
Curious how the Axe FX II sounds through the RedPlate. I have an AstroDust and have considered getting an Axe FX. Always imagined it would sound great. RedPlates have fantastic power sections. If you ever get the urge to record some clips.....

i only use the axe fx II in front of my amp for effects and it sounds amazing! i run it straight in just like i did with my old pedalboard

ifailedshapes

Gold Supporting Member
Original Mesa Express 5:25 1x10"

I never should have sold this amp. It was incredibly portable and sounded great. When mic'd properly you'd never know it was a 10".

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
Yepp the 5:50 is about the same weight and LOUD AS HELL!

Not to mention the contour knob that really adds to the half stack sound in a 1x12 package when cranked.

Someone said Mesa 1x12s are the biggest sounding combos on here and in my experience that is true. Although some are weighty that is one of the reasons I chose the 5:50 express over the Mark V and Electra Dyne. In comparison the 5:50 feels like a feather!

Yeah as someone coming from playing a 120 watt amp into a closed back 4x12 or 2x12 I was not excited about having to get a small combo amp for that particular project but it was overkill to use my current stuff and I needed it to be lightweight + portable . I owned/played a few different amps but was real surprised when I came into the Express. Obviously its no big power amp into a 4x12 but it definitely sounds/felt bigger than most combos I have played and great tone to boot!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom