Biggest thump with a workable clean

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RSRD, Aug 27, 2005.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

So in all your amp experience what amp has the meatiest gain with a workable clean?

~thomas

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Orange Rockerverb. I have the 50 head. The others are great too.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Mesa Trem-o-verb.

Very under-rated cleans (even the ordinary Dual Rectifier does IMO) and absolutely world-class massive heavy overdrive.

4. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

That could mean so many amps. I don't think it's specific enough for me to give a good reply to...I predict this thread will be longer than it needs to be. :)

5. RSRD

RSRD Member

I've heard so much about these amps but never tried. How are their channels compared to a mesa, or say, an uberschall?

I'm considering picking one of the first year heads up from a friend. I think the cleans on the Trem are definitely better than the dual. The dual cleans aren't quit a workable imo. They are sterile and a bit tinny.

Thanks for the input thus far!

Thomas

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The clean stays ultra-clean up to about 2:00 or so. It is very warm and lush, not sterile...but it has it's own tonality. Not like other amps (other than some older Oranges).

The Drive channel doesn't sound as modern as an Ubershall, let's say, but it has A LOT of gain. I'd call it a high gain channel (or very close). It also works very effectively with lower levels of gain and sounds just as authentic. Again...it doesn't really compare to the others. Really has its own sound. Listen to my clips on my gear page for an example. Here are two more that aren't there (because they weren't done to demo the amp, they were done for other reasons) but do a good job demoing the amp's OD sound (though not really higher gain sounds)

http://www.MusicianMatcher.com/uploads/Wizards.mp3 (demo of Emi Wizard spkr)

http://www.MusicianMatcher.com/uploads/Orange+TMB.mp3 (demo w/o and w/Time Machine Boost pedal)

For heavier stuff, search out Kannibul's clips. He's fond of Alice in Chains and does a good job on the higher gain stuff.

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Rivera Knucklehead II. Hands down. No question.

It has idiotic amounts of thump along with its too much gain channel. Wholesale concrete breakup. 100 Watts of ugly black crayon scribbling. More than Uberschall.

But it's clean channel is the normal high quality Rivera blackface-ish clean, and 100 Watts of headroom for that so it's like the Rivera hundred duo 12 sound such as Vince Gill used forever.

It's almost like "what were they thinking?" land. But they actually did make this amp that way.

8. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

9. RSRD

RSRD Member

I tried the KHII for a few weeks. Wasn't the amp for me.

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Which way? I'm assuming due to the huge thump available that it was the clean that disappointed you. Was the cab up to it?

11. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

12. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

I'm assuming he didn't like the particular voicing of the amp, especially since he seems to want a "meaty" overdrive. The KH2 is pretty aggressive and high gain but it doesn't seem that thick throughout the EQ spectrum.

13. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

My VHT clx by far. Most flexible amp I've come across. Clean can be a Hiwatt punch, to nearly fender pretty. Carr Moto I have is no slouch either, more fender cleans, but doesn't kick nearly as hard.

Patrick

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Could be; the thing likes some cabs a lot more than others (to my ear it likes stiff nonresonant cabs). The mids sort themselves out a lot with those recent vintage Rivera heads if you use a sub (which I think Rivera is hoping to convince everyone that they need).