Bigsby and break angles

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bender, Apr 14, 2015.

1. bender

bender Member

Hi All

I've read a few threads here on Bigsby's (Bigsbies? Bigsbi?)--ANYWAY, here is my situation. I have a Framus Hollywood Custom. Awesome guitar, but the Framus-branded Bigsby-style vibrato is a real pain to restring especially in a live situation.

I ordered a Vibramate spoiler, but the construction of the Framus Vibrato brings it too close to the body and hence it does not work.

Here is a pic of the current setup:

[​IMG]

A solution like the Callaham Bigsby Main String shaft (essentially, a replacement of the shaft with drill through holes so you can thread strings through quickly, meant to improve sound perhaps as well. There is a thread here on TGP with some info on this:

thread -> A Tale of Three Bigsby Accessories

Pic of the Callaham upgrade-> Callaham Main String Shaft

The Callaham does not fit on the Framus vibrato, so the guitar tech dude I go to had a Bigsby B7 that had just come in. We decided to go for this and order the Callaham in.

The current plan, to occur over the next week or so, is for my guitar tech dude to do the following:

1. Install a Bigsby B7 with the Callaham mod. The holes from the Framus actually match perfectly though one more hole is required for the B7. Not a biggie. Not going to sell this guitar.

2. Change the tuners from stock to Schaller locking tuners. I love locking tuners, makes restringing a breeze. Not sure if there is any added bonus to be had when working with a Bigsby. I didn't have any tuning stability issues worth noting with the previous setup.

The potential drawback here is that the second bar of the Bigsby is closer to the bridge, enough to make a more extreme break angle.

Guitar tech says that given it is a high quality roller bridge, it *may* actually be better as it adds a bit of force to the rollers, and the strings will rather move the rollers than slide on the rollers.

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this before? Did the feel of the guitar change at all? (I mean, not just the Bigsby, but the feel of the guitar itself).

Obviously, I'll be able to tell you folks when it's done what it feels like, but I am a bit worried!

EDIT: I should add, I just found a pic in an old Framus catalogue of one of the Hollywood Customs with a B7 on it, so I am a bit less concerned.

I use the Bigsby sparingly, but I do use it. Running 11-48 on the strings currently.

Best regards,

Bender

2. bender

bender Member

Well, it's been modded--locking tuners as well. Bigsby looks great, and no issues with break angle. Plays great, sounds great.

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Huh, I missed this the first time around. If increasing break angle, I would expect some increase in string tension. It doesn't sound like it bothered you though, perhaps because of the string gauge you are using. I definitely noticed a difference when I put a buzz stop on my Jaguar. Either way, glad it worked out for you.

4. bender

bender Member

Running 11-48... Yeah relieved there isn't a perceivable difference in tension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk