Bigsby B3 on a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by marscottm, Aug 24, 2008.

1. marscottm

marscottm Member

Anyone successfully use a B3 or B11 (no roller tension bar) on a Les Paul? I was thinking of trying one on my R9. The B11 could theoretically be mounted using only the strapmount screw, providing a "no alterations" mod.

thanks

Scott

2. marscottm

marscottm Member

3. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

Do a search and you should find some info here. The LP/Bigsby question comes up occasionally. I've got a B-3 on one of mine, and it works fabulously. I've got a B-7 on another, and it works okay, but not as well as the B-3. Others here have had pretty bad experiences with Bigsbys on Les Pauls, serious tuning/stability issues, etc. I haven't heard of anyone using a B-11.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I have seen a picture of a LP with the no tension bar Bigsby and it looks 100% better. I don't know how it works, but it looks great. I hate that tension bar Bigsby and everyone I have used has been useless compared to the non-tension bar version. Of course, my experience is limited to archtops.

Mike

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Gretsch uses the B3 on the Duo-Jet and it works out just fine. Similar in size and layout to a LP. I much prefer the non-tension bar Bigsbys, too. I have a B7 on a guitar that I simply string the strings over the tension bar, works great. In fact, I use the bar to hold a piece of foam up under the strings to keep them from ringing so badly.

6. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I have a B-3 on a LP. Works fine with no tuning issues. Only complaint might be that I hear a click from the spring sometimes. Also, I can't say it looks great either, with the open tailpiece holes.

BTW, it will require some drilling: Four screws hold the unit around the strap button.

7. Alvis

Alvis Member

I also prefer no tension bar AND a spongier spring .The stock spring is too stiff for my taste.I just run my strings over the bar too.Same on the SGs

[​IMG]