Bigsby for Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by t3oi, Feb 14, 2008.

1. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Anyone know of a Bigsby replacement that fits a Strat that currently has a 6-hole vintage trem? I'm looking to maybe make the change and would prefer to avoid a bunch of new holes in the body if possible.

2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The Bigsby is problematic for a Strat, and is really more suited to guitars with some degree of angularity where the body joins the neck. On Tele's they sort of work, but it's a bit of a travesty on them too in my not so humble opinion. While I'm up here on the soap box, IMHO there are so many advantages to the Fender style six-screw trem bridge, sonically, in terms of tuning, ergonomically, in functionality, etc. with a Strat, as opposed to Bigsbys that I would re-think this a bit.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

"stop that, that's silly!"

4. monstermike

monstermike Member

I've seen it done - you need to change the neck angle at the very least, and you'd need to find some sort of bridge that will cover the existing giant hole for the trem block. I believe the guitar I saw it on was a hardtail previously, which would make things a lot easier. Either way, you're drilling many holes into your guitar.

Here's Ry Cooder's. It looks like he filled the hole for the trem:
    [​IMG]

5. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Check w/ Peter Biltoft at Vintage Vibe p/ups. I think he has one.

6. progholio

progholio Supporting Member

I currently have a that very project in the works.
    I bought a 99$ SX hardtail strat from Rondo (no hole to fill except the bottom studs which the trem may cover most of those), i have a usa Bigsby B5 and a Carvin Bolt neck (tilt back headstock). I just installed the neck yesterday great playability right off the bat without any adjustments, i'll let you know when i get the Bigsby installed.
    I am surprised with the hundreds of Stratocaster models in Fender's catalog they don't offer a Bigsby option.
    Stay tuned.

7. supar6

supar6 Member

+1 - I personally like the 6 point vintage trems quite a bit. Almost to the extent that I won't own an American Standard anymore. Then again - I've never been a big Bigsby fan anyways. To each their own.

8. progholio

Nothing wrong with the Leo's 6 screw trem, still the industry standard for over 50 years. From a functional standpoint I prefer the 2 point trem that Leo switched to when he started up G&L (those Wilkinson units are also mighty fine). Both sytems are good, I own many of them.
    But, there is nothing that gives that warble quite like a Bigsby. The strat is my instrument of choice so i thought it would be really groovy to combine the two.

9. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I wouldn't go with a bigsby on a strat. bigsbys are designed for archtop guitars generally. now, one thing we should consider is that a bigsby trem will function differently than a strat trem. Strat trems are way more sensitive and are problematic tuning wise. If I wanted a bigsby type trem on my strat I would go with one of those tremolos that Hallmark Guitars are making.

http://hallmarkguitars.com/parts/default.htm

10. progholio

Actually the Bigsby B5 is specifically for solid bodies, in fact they work quite well on teles and SG's.

Now to change the subject, thanks a million for the Hallmark link, i have saved it to my favorites. I have a serious woody for one of those Mosrite jobs and a Swept Wing, and my wife even thought the prices were quite reasonable (you gotta love that). Where the heck are those things made?
    I've seen Deke play that signature model and custom double neck in person, very nice guitars indeed. Those Hallmark trems are pretty sexy too.