Bigsby Lubrication

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by zombiwoof, Dec 17, 2009.

1. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I recently put a Bigsby on my SG Classic, using a Vibramate mounting plate. I lube the nut and saddles with GHS Graphitall (the Rene Martinez stuff), but I've heard it's good to lube the moving parts on the Bigsby. What do you Bigsby guys use for this, that won't mar the guitar finish or such? Something like 3-in-one oil, or is that bad?

Thanks,
    Al

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

well, you don't want to use enough of anything to get on the finish anyway, so a tiny bit of 3-in-one oil on the sliding or moving parts seems like the ticket.

3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

I have emailed Bigsby several times on this matter, but they don't believe in answering emails. Soooo, on the extremely rare occasion that I need to lubricate it, I use clock oil, it is not as thick as 3-in-1 oil. Sewing machine oil works well too, and is similar in viscosity to clock oil. Whatever you do, please don't resort to using WD-40. Regardless of the claims, WD-40 is a moisture displacer, not a lubricant. WD stands for Water Displacer.

4. rooster

rooster Member

Try TufOil. I had to order mine from the manufacturer. If you have tuning issues, back-slot the nut.

rooster.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, unless I hear any other suggestions, I'll just use 3-in-One oil sparingly. As I said, don't want anything getting on the finish.

Al