Bigsby players/users?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rusty G., Jan 2, 2008.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Does anybody here use a Bigsby on their main axe? I've noticed a lot of really cool looking guitars with Bigsby's on them, and I've been wondering about maybe crossing over into uncharted territory.

Are they hard to keep in tune? What guage strings do you use?

For that matter. . .How about some photos of your bigsby laden guitars! :RoCkIn

Thanks,
    Rusty

2. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Not necessarily my MAIN axe, but I have bigsby's on a few guitars that I gig with fairly regularly. I use 10s, and don't have much trouble with tuning issues, but generally use the bigsby sparingly, for 'warble' or 'shimmer', and not for big dives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Here's two Bigsby'd Gibbys !! The 330 was sold but the 335 is one of my faves - both in Burgundy Metallic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I have one on my Grestch and I never use it. I am not into the wang bar thing. My Grestch is the model that George Harrison used at Shea Stadium.:RoCkIn

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have a Gretsch G5120. Stays in tune fine. I use GHS Boomer 10-46 on it. Changing strings is a whole lot of fun until you learn the trick to it.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Do you guys have problems fitting them into a guitar case or finding a guitar case for guitars fitted with Bigsby's?

Also, as mentioned above, I've never owned a guitar with a bigsby. I don't even use the whammy/trem bar with my strats. Do you find that the bar gets in the way?

Rusty

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This lil ole '66 Corvette comes with Gretsch's version of the Bigsby. The bridge itself is not stationary; it's like a hot dog mounted on a tiny piece of rosewood. The little piece of rosewood was so thin and narrow and the bridge was so funky that the thing would go out of tune if you looked at it cross-eyed.

So I got a roller-bridge and I had a friend make a new 'bridge mount' that would work better. He made it out of stabilized wood and we made it wide enough so that it butts up against the pickup mounting ring.

[​IMG]

Now the bridge won't rock back and forth and the strings don't get stuck. Thing sounds, works and looks great. And the cool thing about the original bridge not being mounted on top is that I didn't have to alter the guitar in any way in order to get this to work out. I can beat on the Bigsby all night long and it stays in tune great!

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

No. For my Gretsch, I just use a dreadnought acoustic case and it fits fine. Most other guitars the bar can be removed easily. I usually leave it in though. The bar may be depressed a bit when the case is close, but that doesn't hurt anything.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have one on an M-75T Dearmond used for open tuning and slide work. I'm just starting to explore the Bigsby. The guitar tone alone is quite distinctive, especially in open tunings. With the Bigsby, it's kind of otherworldly. Great fun!