Bigsby Problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jpervin, Mar 17, 2006.

1. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I've got a new 50s Tele with a Bigsby, which I just restrung after changing the pickups. The Bigsby lever wants to raise up when the strings are tightened, and if it goes too far back it'll hit the back of the body and the strings will come off the posts.
    Am I doing something wrong?

BTW, this is my first guitar equipped with a Bigsby, so I'm a noobie with this thing.

Here's a pic of how I have it strung. This is not my Tele, but the pic is for demo purposes only.

[​IMG]

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Have you got the strings wrapped around the bar the right way (like in that pic)? If they're the wrong way round - or not wrapped at all, just hooked onto the pins - the arm certainly will try to swing up when the strings are tightened.

That's the only thing I can think of... there's nothing else to go wrong on a Bigsby really.

It's quite a pain to get them on the right way BTW.

Cool guitar, I kind-of miss mine now :(.

3. Tinman

Tinman Member

What you are describing seems to defy the laws of physics. I'm betting you don't have it strung like the picture. Normally, the arm gets sucked down towards the body as you tighten the strings.

4. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

O.....M.....G!!!

I just found my mistake.

In the pic, look at the bar where the ends of the strings wrap around it and onto the pins. Notice that the strings go over and around the bar and onto the pins...

I've got the strings on my Tele running UNDER and around the bar and onto the pins!!!

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!!!!! :jo :jo :jo

Can you say "embarassed"?

:eek:

5. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Don't feel bad at least you had the balls to do it yourself. I changed strings on a tune-o-matic guitar once and reset the saddle bar on backwards. This put the larger slotted saddles under the smaller strings and visa versa. The high E sounded dead and I couldn't figure out why. I took it to a "guitar tech" at a local store. When he looked at it he told me the saddles were worn and needed to be replaced. In the process of him telling me this I noticed my mistake, politely told him I'd have to save for that and slinked out of the store. I went home loosened my strings enough to remove the bridge and replace it the right way and everything was back to normal. Thanks to your post I can finally talk about it!:dude

6. mailman

mailman Member

Mystery solved; case closed. Whammy away!:cool: