Bigsby Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vbjamin, Jan 20, 2006.

1. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

In Your! not so humble opinion,
    Do you consider a Bigsby Tele. and I am talking a good one,not a hack job,
    an
    1. Abomination.

2. An adventure in tone

3. Just not right

4.other

I love my Tele but I miss my Bigsbied guitars

2. Roe

Roe Member

I'd like it on a hollow tele with filtertrons!

3. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i think they look cool, but i'm told you really need a little back angle on the neck for a bigsby to really work properly.

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've played several Trussart and G&L Tele's with Bigsbys that played and sounded great - one G&L experience where I couldn't get it to stay in tune, though, that may have been anomalous to that guitar, as I couldn't find another with that problem.

I've played very, very few Fender Teles where the Bigsby felt right to me, whether that was a setup matter, or maybe that it wasn't a factory install, I have no idea

Saul Koll is currently making me a thinline mahogany/maple-ebony neck Tele with a Bigsby and two Fralin p-90's, I'm expecting to have it within the next 2-3 weeks.

5. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I would like to have a tele with a bigsby, though i would have the cut the holes in a standard vintage tele bridge. I wouldn't want any other kind of bridge on a tele

6. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I have no problem with bigsbied teles... I love bigsby's and telecasters, so I think they SHOULD go together.

7. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

. . . let's see some pictures!

8. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've only played one, and it was very briefly, and unamplified, which was frustrating, to say the least. I think they're fabulous, in concept. In fact, this guitar (although with a different pickguard) is currently my dream guitar:

[​IMG]

(from GVCG.)

9. spookybonus

spookybonus Member

yeah, ive got a tele with a bigsby and it makes it way more fun to play...made it look better too...

10. Roe

Roe Member

yes bigsby and a tele bridge is a great idea!

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

When I bought my first Tele, the guy was selling it because he had just bought an Olympic White stock Bigsby Tele. I remember how absolutely classy that guitar looked, it was in a black case with a blue velvet lining...

12. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

[​IMG]

Original '69, factory Bigsby. Much messed about with... old repaired routs under the (obviously non-original) guard for a humbucker and a Strat pickup, refretted with railroad rails :), changed control plate, switch & jack plate, and the cool Bikini-Girl-on-a-record decal is actually partially covering a badly-done repair to some edge-of-body damage - it's not so much right-arm wear as finish sanding. And signed by Mark Knopfler, although I've never seen anything that would indicate it was actually his (you can just see it between the decal and the corner of the guard).

It sounds cool, although not like a standard Tele - more twang and less grind... much less direct-sounding. It's really quite heavy too, I haven't weighed it but it must be in the 9lb range. Not mine any more though, I never really bonded with it and traded back to the guy I got it from.

13. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

and the stock bridge is you knotch the back of the bridge for the strings you WANT to bend.. and run the rest as stock string thru. That way you get the shimmer,shake and twang!

been there done that. I'm currently building up a B16 bigsbied tele (looks like the archstop bigsby with a tele pickup built into it..) just because I have the parts of course!:AOK

14. fractal

fractal Member

I have one of the new CIJ 50's Tele w/ Bigsby. These are great guitars! I bought it for the neck (huge) but I'm surprised of how much I like and how useful the Bigsby is.

-Garrett

15. Roe

Roe Member

Have anyone else tried this?
    I've noticed that If you change the stock tele bridge, you'll loose some attack. This is what happens with a hipshot b-bender with a drop d or g.