Bigsby Tremelo Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jason Carter, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

I received a guitar this weekend. The guitar is still adjusting to the Louisiana humidity. It came from an area that has less than 5%. Out the box its doing pretty good. The G string tends to drift but the strings are new and the guitar is settling to its new environment. Do bigsby tremelo's tend to be stable? The guitar is a Gibson CS-356, plays great just wondering if there are any tips moving forward.

2. IR79

IR79 Member

I would give it a while and see if it settles down. Having owned a few I find that Bigsbys respond best to a gentle wobble rather than dive bombs, but set up correctly and treated right they are pretty stable.

If it is only the G sting and the others all return to pitch I would have a good look at the nut, Gibsons tend to bind there especially on the G and D strings due to the string angle to the nut.

I would also lube all points of contact, bridge, nut etc. I use big bends nut sauce but you could try graphite from a pencil.

3. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Don't dive bomb and a bigsby is fine.

4. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Bigsbys work very well as long as they are set up properly. The most common problem is the string binding in the nut, as others have pointed out - another one is V shaped (rather than U shaped) notches in the saddles that pinch the wound strings rather then allowing them to move smoothly through the saddle slot. But once the guitar is set up the Bigsby should be as stable as any other vintage vibrato.

5. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

My Bigsby equipped guitars stay in tune as well as the ones without. Worst case, if an extreme bend leaves a string out of tune, a quick wiggle of the handle brings it right back.

6. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Almost as stable as a stop tail.

7. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

Thanks guys. Never have been a tremelo guy, would probably just give it a go on some chords every now and then. Great advise everyone!