Bigsby + tune-o-matic & Graphtech saddles. How big a diff?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dr Doom, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

how much of an improvement in stability would the gtech saddles make over the stock brass? I'm wondering if the swap is worth it.

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    if you have a troublesome Bigbsy I fully recommend the graphtec saddles.

they also improve the tone quality of any guitar and help to keep guitar in tune generally. Plus you'll never break a string. Worth every cent IMO. I put em on every guitar I own Bigsby or not :)

3. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

I like how they sound. They add a small amount of high frequency to the harmonics. You don't hear it much with gain but it's noticeable on clean tones.

Nothing completely keeps me from breaking strings, but they help. I strum like the American Tourister gorilla.

As far as returning to pitch, you need a slippery nut too - or at the very least one that is cut smooth and not too tight for your string gauge.

More so than the improvement on tuning when using the vibrato, I notice more improvement on quickly tuning to pitch. It settles faster without a lot or repetitive tug-twist-tug-twist.

It also helps to reverse wrap a half turn of the string's end around the machine head's winding post and lock-bend it under the string.

4. dunara

dunara Member

+1 :beer

5. TNO

TNO Member

I'm a Bigsby abuser and I've never had any problem whatsoever with TMs.The entire bridge rocks just enough to keep the strings from slipping across the saddles.

6. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

this is what I want to avoid, as it's not a floating bridge

7. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

In case Eagle1 replies:

[​IMG]