Bigsby users that know their stuff. Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Angelohio, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Angelohio

Angelohio Member

So I can’t find anything about this online. I have a flat top Gibson Les Paul special. Have a Bigsby b5 that I installed years ago. I just happen to have a Bigsby b7 and vibramate v7 mounting kit from another les Paul that I ended up selling. Does anyone know if I can install the v7 under the b5 to cover up the holes from the old tailpiece? Not really looking to spend any money on a v5 at this point. But since I happen to have a v7 laying around, I thought maybe I could put it to use. Anyone know if this is possible?

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

The v7 wouldn’t give the B5 the support it needs. The back of the B5 would be raised off the body and the whole thing would be wonky.

Laurence likes this.
  3. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

This is just to hide the tailpiece sockets visually? Or is the break angle inadequate because the tailpiece sockets push the B5 too far back?

You'd be better off installing the B7 together with the V7 and selling the B5 (how much?) or saving it for another project.

4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Even if the screws line up between the B5 and the V7 Vibramate, you're only going to have 2 screw mounting it, and the back of the B5 floating over the guitar body. I wouldn't do it. I'd just pull the threaded inserts out that held the stop bar on and fill the holes, no big deal.

5. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

So, hang on, the guitar already has the B5 screwed into the top, or is the B5 one you've taken from another guitar?

If the B5 is already on the guitar your best bet is simply to cover the holes and leave the Bigsby in place - the Custom Made plaques that were use to cover the stud holes on early ES335s are easy enough to come by, or I used little disks from a market stall selling jewelry bits and pieces to cover the studs in one of my ESs.

If you don't already have it on the Special then, as others have said, you need the correct adaptor to support the B5 otherwise the back half is going to be adrift.