Bigsby

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by prvv, Aug 2, 2006.

1. prvv

prvv Supporting Member

Does it stay in tune good? What are the pro and cons?

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I have one on my reverend. I don't use the guitar much. I think the bigsbys are very cool and stay in tune for the most part but can only alter the pitch very subtle. The only drawback IMO is they are a PIA to restring.

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I loved mine on a Guild Starfire III I used to have. Very nice warble and surf detunings... The feel of Bigsbys can vary greatly from guitar to guitar, some are very soft/loose feeling and some have more heft... probably has to do with the spring used and gague strings or any other factor affecting the tension of the guitar...

4. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Bigsbys are definitly cool, got one on my LP. I don't use it too much but I like it cuz you can bend em' up and down. BUT IT'S A F&*KING PIA TO RESTRING, I've heard of people using capo's to help so I gotta get one of those. Stays in tune, and looks pretty classy too

5. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I have a Bigsby on my Hamer Newport. I have no tuning problems with this unit. As far as restringing goes, I simply crimp the strings before running them over the bar. Not only does the Bigsby offer some of the best warble, I believe the mass of the unit really adds to the tone of my guitar.

6. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

my gretsch nashville has a bigsby and it is great. stays in tune great, has a great feel to it. it can also raise the pitch. restringing has never been a problem. all you have to do is like on a floyd rose, one string at a time. also, just bend the string about 3/4" from the ball and it stays on better. since mine is on a gretsch and the body is big, its not a problem, but i think on LP's or tele's, etc, the bigsby would get in the way of the controls on a smaller body because the bigsby itself is so big. just my .02.

7. 6789

6789 Member

I love Bigsbys. I play with 12-52 strings and never have trouble staying in tune. The Bigsbys bend plenty far enough for me. I think its the Floyd Rose crowd that say Bigsbys don't bend far enough. Restringing is easy when you know how. first crimp/bend the end, put it on the holding pin, wedge in a pink angled eraser to hold it in place while you wind the string into tune. No problem. Depending on the spring you have you can get different feels on how hard you need to push down on the Bigsby. I also take a sharp pencil and rub grahite into the nut to help the string slide better. and I wrap my string around the tuner post in the wrap around locking way.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

Ahh, I never thought of using the pink eraser idea. I just hold it place with my finger until I get some tension going. My Gretsch Setzer Sig has Sperzels, so it doesn't take very long to get tension. I have no tuning problems at all with it.

9. Tinman

Tinman Member

The Bigsby thread is one that needs to be put in the archives. It seems to get re-run every three or four months.

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

I've got two guitars that are equipped with Bigsbys and Sperzels. I'd say that the locking tuners are a HUGE help. The Bigsby is just cool looking!

11. SkeleTone

SkeleTone Member

Hello folks, my first post on this forum...

If restringing a Bigsby is a pain in the ass, I can recommend a mod for some Bigsbys - that is, the models where the string travels under an extra metal bar (model B-5, B-7 and so on): have a guitar repairman turn the metal bar with the string holding pins 180 degrees. Normally, the pins face the guitar's neck or pickups; after the mod they more or less face the guitar's butt end. Since the string travels downwards under the extra bar, the string will stay in place easily.

With this mod, you'll never need any extra devices to hold the string in place while restringing, and you don't need to bend the string before. In fact, restringing is as fast or faster than with most other types of bridges. The mod doesn't apply to Bigsbys without the extra metal bar: on those it would make the strings pop off the pins.

I love Bigsbys (especially with some echo or delay!) and will probably put one on about every guitar I buy ;) As far as tuning goes, it stays in tune pretty good - not perfect, but good.

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I had an R8 with a Bigsby for a few months. I'm not big on vibratos or anything, and I really despised the Bigsby. I think it made the guitar heavier, the guitar sounded cool, tuning was iffy, and the pain about restringing (and I broke a lot of strings, which may or may not have been related to the Bigsby unit).

FOR ME, the hassle of the Bigsby wasn't worth however much I used it- which wasn't a lot- most of the time the bar was just rotated to the back.

Why can't that bar just be drilled out and run the strings through the bar instead of on the pegs?

13. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

A great tip, but make sure you're using a drafting pencil (which actually has graphite in the lead) as opposed to the run-of-the-mill Office Depot variety (which doesn't).