BigSky cab filter for recording

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kennyscrown, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Hi there

Getting ready to trade up from my BlueSky reverb to the BigSky, for three reasons - more reverb models, presets, and (mainly) to use the cab filter directly into my interface for recording in stereo, as well as playing through my M1 powered monitors.

So, can any of you BigSky users report about the quality of the cab filter for this purpose? I'm not looking to replace my amps for serious recording, just for day-to-day recording of demos and ideas.

Your experience would be appreciated before I 'pull the trigger' as you guys say!!

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

well, I'm pretty sure all the strymon demos are recorded using it, and they sound pretty good!

3. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

The Cab Filter works really well for recording, as long as it's going through a preamp - which with most audio interfaces it will be.

Where it doesn't work so well on it's own is I recently picked upa Jamhub for cheap to try out IEM rehearsals, and the Cab Filter on it's own is a bit thin - you really need a preamp between the pedal board and the destination.

4. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Didn't realise that - those demos do sound great. Anyone point me to any other demos/sounds on the inter-web recorded using the BigSky cab filter? Or any other comments?

5. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i think this is right! the strymon vids use a preamp too.

6. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

It's serviceable, nothing amazing IMO. When I had a BigSky I preferred to use an amp model from Logic or Amplitube to track a demo idea. Definitely a nice plus for the pedal, and can work as a direct-to-PA "backup" if an amp blew or something.