bigsound, small amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheAmpFactory, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

currently gigging with my blackstars (modded) HT60 and its 2x12 cab.. all loaded with 2x alinco gold and 2x v30's.. amazing sound......

..But, its becoming pain in terms of transport, rehearsals and my back recently is not so good.

My choices are to get rid of the above and get something smaller, but I fear if i did that i'd miss the big sound that it offers. (as thats what im after)

Is there an amp that anyone knows (1x12) that still can deliver the punch, naturally a 1x12 will never sound a like a 4x12, but as I need to make a compromise then i'd be interested to know my options, and a good place to start my search.

My Search criteria is great cleans, (but not fender amps, as Ive had lots of them before and was disappointed) - and enough headroom for live play/larger venues

Although I do whole heart-idly love and admire my BSs as they are. its not tonal choice to get rid of them..and might not even if I choose another.

..But if I did chose to flip them, would I be able to sell the Bs's at a higher price becasue of the speaker swap. - or does that not come into the equation when selling amps.

Cheers.

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

seriously, you should be looking here!!

www.jacksonampworks.com

seriously small, loud, and keep your cabs with the Golds!

3. doc

doc Member

Actually, I think the idea that you need a 4X12 cab to get a big sound is a bit overdone. They do have a characteristic sound, and that's cool, but a well designed ported cab with one efficient 12 can actually have as much thump. I'd probably try a Mesa Theile cab with an EV first - may not be for you, but sounds bigger than it looks. You can get a big sound, but it will be a different sound.