Bill Asher Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by daddyagogo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. daddyagogo

daddyagogo Member

I wanted to post a little praise for Bill Asher and his guitars. If you're a fan you know, but as with many great independent builders not enough people know about them.

I recently ordered and received an Asher Ultra Tone T-Deluxe model, and I couldn't be happier with it. The care and exacting work that went into this is amazing, and I love how it plays. I am kind of a gear head, but not much of a tech head so I won't go into all the details, but I told him what I wanted in general and he gave that and then some. These ain't parts guitars. This is a one-piece Sugar pine body he made from scratch, even sent me a pic of the wood it came from. Double Ivoroid-binding. Clear Orange is not a regular finish for Bill but he was happy to do it. Quarter-sawn birdseye maple neck with Madagascar rosewood fretboard. He made the neck extra fat, like a Nocaster, as I requested. You gotta check out his stuff at http://asherguitars.com/. Several different models to choose from, including his lap steels he's probably better known for, including a hot Ben Harper model. Super nice guy too. Not Ben, but Bill, although Ben might be too. I don't know how to post a pic here, but there is one on my site photo-cool guitars. http://daddyagogo.com/photos/cool-guitars

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Is this it?
    [​IMG]

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have one incoming in a few days, can't wait!

4. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

I am amazed at the Asher artistry~

5. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah! Is it?? WOW... Very hard not to love a guitar that's been created by combining a few of my favorite things; Charlie Christian pickups on a Gretsch-colored Tele with chicken-head knobs??

And isn't the builder the son of Elizabeth Montgomery, the brilliant & beautiful actress who's probably best known as Samantha Stevens from Betwitched?

6. daddyagogo

daddyagogo Member

Yes, that's it, thanks for posting it. He gave me a white pick guard as well which matches the binding, but the black one matches the headstock. Yes he is the son of William Asher & Elizabeth Montgomery, and I'm not even sure how I learned that, but it wasn't from him. I think I saw it online somewhere after I'd ordered the guitar. The chicken-head knob controls a circuit switch like on a Gibson 345, which is a feature of this model.

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your Pine Ultra T - I bet it sounds sweet! I have an ash body w/ maple neck Ultra myself - great guitars.

Just for clarification, the chicken head knob controls a Tonestyler tone control that rolls off highs and toward the end of it's sweep subtley adds mids. It's a 16 position rotary that's OUT of the circuit when rotated all the way clockwise.

It's NOT the same as a 5 or 6 position Varitone type of rotary switch found in as ES-345 or 355, but it's a cool feature.

Thanks, Dana O.

8. nickthenail

nickthenail Member

The Asher room at the A.A.C.G.C. Show last week was one of my favorites.
    If I had the funds, I would have walked out with one of his teles along with a Red Jones amp that was featured in the same room.

Never even heard of Asher before that.

9. sondich

sondich Member

I think the AACGC hit the nail on the head with that show. NAMM was great but for one-on-one time with cool gear and people, the AACGC was the place to be. Lot of playing going on in Bill's room.

10. daddyagogo

daddyagogo Member

What you said. Thanks for clarifying the chicken head knob control. Honestly I don't mess with it much once I get it set when playing this guitar.

11. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations on your Asher! They are really fine guitars. Bill is an all around great guy who will give you great service if you ever need it.

12. emjee

emjee Member

There is something "Bewitching" about his guitars!;)

13. DucatiWebDesign

DucatiWebDesign Member

I have to say, yes, his guitars are amazing. Nice guy too. If you are on the fence, give Asher a try.

Does anyone have some experience with the Steelbucker pickups? There is some hum coming from my guitar that goes away when my hand touches the strings. I'm thinking it's not the pickups but probably a loose ground wire or something?

14. billasher

billasher Member

Does anyone have some experience with the Steelbucker pickups? There is some hum coming from my guitar that goes away when my hand touches the strings. I'm thinking it's not the pickups but probably a loose ground wire or something?[/QUOTE]

Well, even with humbuckers a small amount of 60 cycle hum can still get through. When you touch the strings you are now connected to the ground of the guitar and acting as a large shield, hence the hum goes away. If you are in Los Angeles please bring it by and I will check it out for your. If not, bring it by your local tech and let me know what they find. Keep me posted, Bill.

15. billasher

billasher Member

Just noticed the pictures where lost of this guitar. So here it is...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

I recently got one of Mr. Asher's Ultra-T's from CR Guitars, formerly owned by Craig himself, and I am simply blown away by the build quality, playability and above all tone the guitar has. It's simply a treasure - thanks for making these guitars, Bill!

17. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

This is the one that pushed me over the edge...

18. beorn

beorn Member

What? Seriously? Wow, this I did not know.

I had a crush on her from Bewitched reruns before I was even old enough to know what a crush was.

19. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Bill makes my favorite guitars... the new Marc Ford is incredible...My Ultra T rocks.. and I have another Ultra T and a sig guitar coming.

Bill is an Artist and just incredible.

20. myjeh

myjeh Member

That guitar looks nice. Congratulation on your Asher guitar.

To my taste, All Asher guitars are great. I love mine, too.