BILL CHAMPLIN~A True American Treasure~As a Singer/Multi-Instrumentatlist/Songwriter!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lucidology, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Bill kinda goes under the radar here at TGP... Maybe it's time to give him a little love!
    For instance ... did you know he wrote this classic? Just listen to him sing too. One of the best of all America's voices ...
    It doesn't get much better then that...

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Here he is in 1993 on Keys with Garth Webber on guitar ...
    Singing Turn Your Love Around ~ Benson's Big Hit.
    BTW. Bill wrote this song in combination with Jay Graydon & Steve Lukather.

3. DHart

DHart Member

Champlin has done well for himself and has been good in Chicago. But for me, he was far more in his element with Terry Haggarty and others in the late '60s, '70s in Sons of Champlin, and just The Sons. His writing, playing, and singing on Loosen Up Naturally, The Sons, and Follow Your Heart was the pinnacle for me. I spent many glorious hours watching the Sons live in the Bay Area back in those days. Simply incredible playing and performances back then. And Terry Haggarty.... man, what a guitarist he was at that time. He blew away almost everyone else. And Champlin wasn't far behind Haggarty on the guitar in those days.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thx...had no idea he wrote those!

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

One hundred percent agree with you about the Sons of Champlin...
    Love that whole show you posted ... so, so good...!!

BTW ... Terry Haggarty is still playing quite a bit in the Bay Area.
    Have many friends who have & still do gig with him (He plays a Parker Fly these days)
    In fact, he and Jerry Miller (from Moby Grape) also have a band together.

Once had talk with Jerry Garcia about Terry ...
    Jerry said that Terry was the guy with all the chops back in the day ...
    He could outplay just about everybody, including most of the cats from England.
    However, unfortunately he was kind of anti-social based on a few things
    & it keep him completely out of the loop ...

6. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

The Sons were the best bay area band ever for me. They still bring it hard! Saw them last summer with all the surviving original members and it was as good as music gets.

7. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

I began seeing the Sons on occasion at the Filmore and Winterland back in the day.

In the 90's Garth and his girlfriend invited me to a club in Monterey which I don't recall the name of but it was to see Garth play with the Bill Champlain Band which was a similar lineup with Mario Cippolina.... as the video above.

The song I was waiting for that Bill sang with Chicago was " Look Away" which I think is a great vocalist song and he does a great job on. During the break I asked him about it and he replied that he hadn't written it so he leaves it out of his show. I told him what a great song I thought it was and that I thought regardless of him not writing it, his signature is all over it and I thought people coming to his shows would appreciate hearing it.

He said he would consider it for future shows and I have no idea if he ever incorporated the tune but he was nice enough to chat about it .....and it was a very fun night overall and Bill Champlain is a very accomplished player and singer in my view.

8. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've been a Sons and a Bill fan since the early '70's, but never saw The Sons live.

I'd seen Bill a few times with Chicago, but finally this past year while in SanFran for a few days, I was luck enough to catch a Sons gig. It was so rewarding to finally hear/see a band I'd dug for so many years.

Funny little story, Bill broke a string on the second tune that night and he didn't have a guitar tech... so I offered to change it for him... so he did a song on his acoustic while I changed the string.

9. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Love the Sons as much as any band I know. We would never miss a show at the Keystone Berkeley. Gonna get me some Goldmine!

10. brookshubbert

brookshubbert Member

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'm a HUGE Sons of Champlin fan, and a huge Bill Champlin fan. I keep up with him and the Sons. Saw the Sons on Jan 3 this year, and saw BIll a week later at a singer/ songwriter show in Santa Barbara, with his wife Tamara.

I totally agree - DEFINITELY an American treasure. Champlin's been writing great songs since the 60's, and he's been singing them even better. In the 60's and 70's with the Sons, Bill was one of the best singers and frontmen ever, and he's still awesome.

I agree that his material with the old Sons band w/ Terry Haggerty, Dave Shallock, Geoff Palmer, and Jim Preston (70's version) was seminal, for me. Terry Haggerty has scary harmonic depth. I remember taking a friend to see the Sons in like '75 at the Roxy - I had told him what an awesome player Hag was. Bill's B3 went on the fritz during the first song, so he switched to his old Esquire, and played the guitar solos on the first 2 songs. My pal turns to me and says, "You're RIGHT, this guy is AWESOME.", only to have me reply, "That's not the guy - it's the OTHER guitar player w/ the L-5."

Then Hag took the next solo and blew everybody's collective mind. I've spent many, many hours listening to the Sons, and stealing form Haggerty. If I had to pick one favorite band in my life, it's probably the Sons.

Thanks for the thread Joeseph, Dana O.

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Not to mention his multi-instrumentalist skills.

Example: On the Sons album "Welcome to the Dance", Bill wrote or cowrote most of the songs, sung lead and backup vocals, played piano, organ, electric and acoustic rhythm guitar, some lead guitar, Bari sax, arranged the horns w/ help from Geoff Palmer, and was the de-facto mixer/ producer along with Geoff Palmer.

There's an old one-liner around the Bay Area that in the 60's and 70's, more people got laid after Sons concerts than after any other band's shows - a strictly anecdotal accounting, but I see no reason to disagree (GRIN). Bill was well known for, er, joyous enthusiasm about sexuality on stage by way of pleasant inuendo. Famous line, " Let's have a nice round of applause from the gentlemen in the audience for the ladies in the audience" to announce the next song, while urging everybody to "shake their hips to help find the beat."

Back then, man or woman, straight or gay, if you didn't leave a Sons show hot to trot, you weren't paying attention.

Thanks, Dana O.

13. DHart

DHart Member

"And we'll all be makin' love on a hillside, in the ra-a-ain." In 1968 I was attending college at University of the Pacific in Stockton. The Sons played a concert there. Not just a few in the audience were enjoying psychedelics to the mesmerizing songs of Loosen Up Naturally. I'll never forget that concert.

Loosen Up Naturally is THE Sons of Champlin album for me. Some of the later stuff that got real funky doesn't excite me so much. But LUN, oh man. Incredible stuff.

14. DHart

DHart Member

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Has never stopped being a great player ... indeed!

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Listen to Bill sing this truly funky version of "Goodie, Goodie" ...
    Love the version ... fuggin' LUV his singing ....

17. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Being a Bay Area boy, I saw the Sons more then I saw the Dead. And I saw The Dead a lot!

And it's true about The Sons and women. "Doin' it for you, is doin' it for me" indeed.

Terry Haggerty is one of the unsung heroes of the SF music scene.

18. Jim

Jim Member

http://youtu.be/7o27jkZ7NX0

This is the first recording I heard Bill sing from Lee Ritenour's "Captain Fingers " back in the late 70's doing " Isn't She Lovely "

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Forgot about that one ... in fact, that's one of my favorite versions of the song ever :aok