Bill Chapin Relief Fund Instructions

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DestroyAllGuitars, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

Hey Bill,
    There are some very cool people around here. The father/son team who won the ebay auction actually are paying MORE than the winning bid price so that they can contribute more to your cause. Very very cool. I will email you the details. Also, acoustic builder (and Schoenberg builder) James Russell (www.russellguitars.com) also donated his time on the guitar that was auctioned. He does QA/QC for me on each guitar that goes out and final setup. He insisted on not taking a penny for his services so that will be added to the contribution as well.

Hope that priority mail makes it to your forwarding address! Porter-Cable router on the way!! Should be there by the end of the week.
    Jason

2. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Very cool Jason.

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

holy crap,

just saw this thread, and the pictures have literally left me speechless. dont have much to give, bill, but hopefully, my little paypal will help in some way. :( :( :(

5. Norcal_GIT_r

Norcal_GIT_r Member

Awesome Jason!!
    I'd like to donate the pickups you used on the auction guitar.
    If thats ok, let me know and I'll send you another set for your stock.

Props too you brother.

Bill hope things are getting better for you and your family.
    Thanks for sharing the pics...Couldn't imagine going through what you have.

6. texasdave

texasdave Member

Received partial payment on this one today, so Paypal comin' your way Bill... We met a long time ago, I'll email you to tell you the connection... Glad to help.

Texasdave

7. Galejt

Galejt Member

8. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

Right on Bryan!! Sounds good. I will add that to the contribution too!!

9. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Threads like these really help to restore my faith in humanity.

Good job, people.

I'm in the Southeast, so I have absolutely no idea what happened. That damage looks quite extensive, though... all I know so far is: Telephone company digging, hit something, kaboom. Am I missing anything?

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

You have the salient points!

No question he'll be OK in the long term on the liability issue - it's the short term thing that's worrying.

Still digging the CT22?

Best, Pete.

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

The CT22 is great, but I haven't really touched my electrics for months. I've been playing nothing but classical as of late.

This thread is actually pretty scary. I'm willing to bet that Mr. Chapin didn't wake up in the morning thinking, "Gee, wonder if my house will explode today?"

Freaky.

12. Shades

Shades Member

Well, a bit of an update. We are out of the motel room and into rental housing. I'm closing in on a couple of shop spaces. Meanwhile I'm working out of 4 different shops that the owners have been kind enough too let me use. Inventory is progressing slowly as I find what I can salvage and what is do over, what tools are totally toast and what can be fixed. I'm working on a handful of instruments and a couple of things that were at the booth at the time should come together fairly quickly.

13. Goldtop

Goldtop Member

Hi All

Since hearing about Bill situation from hawkeyeinexile I have been trying to find a date to put on a fund rasier.

I hope all the South bay and SF Bay Area friends of Bill will come down to JJ's Blues Lounge on Sunday July 1st from Noon to 6pm. We will be having an open Jam with my band hosting and hopefully we can raise some cash to help Bill and his family through this mess.

Thanx

14. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

Hey Guys,
    I spoke to Bill Chapin today and he expressed his sincere gratitude to all of those who have helped the cause. However, he is not out of the woods yet! Let's see if we can't get him building guitars with his own tools!! :dude Right now he is working out of multiple shops and borrowing tools to try to catch up on orders. There is a site hosted by Luthier Harry Fleishman that has a short list of things that Bill still needs.

http://www.fleishmaninstruments.com/luthiersupportpage.html

As always, I am sure that if you don't have the specialty tools a couple bucks would not hurt so that he could buy them himself.

Thanks guys!! Let's keep it going for Bill!

Jason

15. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Thanks Jason!
    That is exactly what I needed. I talk with Bill almost everyday but could never get a list out of him. This is great!

16. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

Hey Saul!
    I didn't know about it either until yesterday! It was good to talk to Bill to find out what his needs were. I have written emails to several luthier supply houses to see if they might be willing to donate some tools, wood (I guess Bill's acoustic stash was hit the hardest). I contacted LMI, StewMac, Grizzly, and Allied. I will follow up today with phone calls.
    Jason

17. TiEsQue

TiEsQue Member

Bill,

Do you want orders at this time? Would sending you our biz help or just complicate matters with no way to know when orders could be fulfilled?

Best of luck to you and your family.

18. Shades

Shades Member

For the most part I'm concentrating on finishing up current orders (I had actually stopped taking new customer orders even before all of this) and dealer orders for Cliff and Mike. There will be a few things somewhat soon (I had a few things in the booth and got very lucky with a couple of other things.) However, if you are interested in something give Cliff or Mike a call as they might have something coming that is in the ballpark of what you are looking for. Delivery times for new fully custom stuff might be a little hard to predict at the moment.

19. TiEsQue

TiEsQue Member

Thanks Bill. I live in Portland so I want my next 3 guitars to be a Chapin, Koll and Soloway. Gotta keep it local!

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member