Bill Fitzmaurice XF210 "Crossfire" cab under construction

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by PushedGlass, Jan 26, 2020.

1. PushedGlass

PushedGlass Member

Just thought you'd like to see the progress of this project I've been working on. I'm going to be having this cab covered in black Tolex and I'm going to make a grille so as to match the SFPR head conversion which was in turn wrapped to match a Blues Junior.

The present stage of construction is to prep the cab for covering (I'm not doing that myself) which means shaping the rounded corners with a detail sander and filling in little voids in the plywood with putty. I'm also going to putty and the detail sander to straighten out some minor wiggles in the routing that I found.

I've experimented a bit with the opening in the back. It's a 13"-high opening and the plans call for a 3" board on the top and a 5" board on the bottom, leaving a 5" gap. By sliding around a loose board with those two boards tacked in, I may have found a more pleasant tone if I add another inch or so to the top board. I'll have those boards Tolexed separately and install them myself after the cab is covered.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. PushedGlass

PushedGlass Member

Funny story: at one point I was playing through the cab and as I was standing in front of it, I got the distinct perception that the sound was coming from some point in space out beside the cab. I then did the 9-volt battery test and sure enough, I'd hooked the speakers up out of phase.

ScioBro and xtian like this.
  3. PushedGlass

PushedGlass Member

The cab was sent off for covering a few days ago and I expect I'll get it back one day next week. When it comes back it'll be time to build the grille and add feet, a handle, and wiring.

4. Khromo

Khromo Silver Supporting Member

BFM has some fine solutions to the world's problems!

What kind of material did you use?

I've built some Omni 10's and 12's, and those cabs definitely worked as advertised. I used them for bass, and I put them to work.