Bill Frisell (Harmony) album

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Melodic Dreamer, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Another project with some regulars. Good stuff.

I saw them perform a couples years ago in Asheville NC. Wonderful show.

ieso, tribalfusion, Mugs and 5 others like this.
  2. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

just bought my tix for seeing him at the Ardmore on 2/29/20, cannot wait

just learned of the Harmony project, love his duo album with Petra, looking forward to this one!

clemduolian and Melodic Dreamer like this.
  3. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I really enjoyed this album and am continuing to enjoy it. It can be both mellow, but haunting at times.

tvegas99 likes this.
  4. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

Love Bill. He's been a big influence on my (ham fisted) playing. Ms. darkwaters is a big fan as well. Now, if I can only win her over to Tom Waits. ;)

TravisE and deeohgee like this.
  5. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

This is one that I haven't been able to get into. Something about Petra's voice that I don't like. The music starts and I'm into it, then she starts singing and I'm ready for the next song. Not sure why that is, just not for me. I've tried, Bill is by far one of my favorite guitarists, I own everything he's put out, but the Petra singing albums are at the bottom of my list.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Completely understand. I personally don't love her voice, but it doesn't bother me either.
    Did you by chance like the album she did with Frisell back in 2005? I actually really dig it.

She was super polite when I got to meet her.
    Even so, no one artist is for everyone. There are plenty of things I dislike that others love.
    Good for you Frisell has so much material. You still have tons of albums to listen to, so you can still get your frisell on. lol

Have you seen these by chance?

7. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Those last three videos are in my "Watch later" folder, haven't had time to watch them yet. It's been awhile since I listened to the Petra/Frisell album, may do that this weekend while I'm working in my shop and see what it does for me.

What's funny is that when I really started getting into music I was all about the singer-songwriter, but now the older I get I'd rather listen to instrumental music. So Bill's instrumental albums have appealed to me for a number of years now.

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Completely get that. I can still be that way at times, but it's only with jazz.
    With your normal rock, blues or pop stuff, I'm the opposite. Growing up it was metal and all the shred guys. Now I don't really enjoy metal or shred, but I do love hearing songs. lol

PedalFreak likes this.
  9. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

Marc Ribot can be your Trojan horse...

TravisE and darkwaters like this.
  10. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

The Bill & Petra album was one of my favorite projects (I was a co-founder of Sovereign Artists, the indie label that released that album in the U.S.). Another album we did with Bill F. was "Here Come the Choppers" by Loudon Wainwright III. The band was Bill Frisell (guitars), Greg Leisz (pedal steel & guitars), David Pilch (Bass) and Jim Keltner (drums)...some amazing playing on the record with Loudon's very cool songs.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Nice. Both albums are really good!
    You still in the business?

As much as I am a fan of Bill’s style and song-writing, I’m just as much a fan of Tucker Martine’s engineering and mixing.

clemduolian likes this.
  12. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

Petra can sing... I love that voice!

Litterick likes this.
  13. johntoste

johntoste Member

I bought the Harmony disc as soon as I knew it was out.
    Overall, it's beautiful.
    Hard Times, Street Where You Live, the wordless original interludes; gorgeous.
    My only quibble is the (to me) overly affected arrangement of Where Have All The Flowers Gone.
    Glad I bought it.