Bill Frisell last night in Boston

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by slippyknees, Jan 29, 2012.

1. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

Went w/Jefemaximo to see Bill Frisell last night at Scullers in Boston. Incredible show. He was with the "Beautiful Dreamers" band (that's a great, great CD btw).

I'd never seen Bill live before but am a huge fan. If he rolls through you area, I highly recommend you go check it out if it's your kinda thing. The musicianship is stunning. They can clip into rootsy Americana stuff immediately after playing a pretty out excursion a la Coltrane in the early 60s with seemingly zero effort. Just stunning.

Oh, and because it's the Gear Page - he was using a Tele (not sure if that was a Fender - the neck heal was not like a traditional Tele), a Deluxe Reverb, a Line 6 DL4, tubescreamer, Boss tuner and a Micro Pog. Very modest setup with great results. A reminder that "it's about the playing dummy."

I am humbled to say the least. More practicing, less focus on gear (again, a reminder to myself, haha).

Anyways, just thought I'd let you know that Bill and Co. are in fine form and if they come near you - GO!

2. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Do you have any idea what toys I've bought over years to get that guys sound.
    I would actually look at a pedal and ask myself "how would Friz use it?"

Never got his sound, it is truly in his hands.

This is also leading me to think less pedals 'cause I also have hands, and I like my guitar voice.

Sure glad he was born.

3. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

Amen to that brother!

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I so want to see him live.

5. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Glad you got to experience that. I've seen him many times over the past 20 years--always great music.

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

that review sums up all of my nearly dozen Frisell shows ... always different, always terrific ...

7. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Sorry I missed that. If you've got a good seat, that's a decent room.

8. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

HOw big a room is SCuller's ?

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I saw him play last December and he had an Audiolex overdrive, tc electronic Hall of Fame reverb, EHX Freeze pedal, and DL4. And his guitar was a Strat! I guess he likes to change up his gear.

He still fundamentally sounded like Bill Frisell - no question he gets the majority of his sound from his hands. He did lovely solo covers of John Lennon tunes.

10. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

I guess I have seen 6 or 7 BF shows, starting with a wacko John Zorn set. Lost the Zorn stuck with Mr. Bill. The last show was 8 or so years ago with Joe Lovano and Paul Motian, and it was so-so. The reason I bring this up is not to piss in the punch bowl, it was interesting for me to see him in a different light. Bill struggled with some rack mounted gear early and the material was really 'out', I may be wrong but he seemed flustered as the set flat lined. The hipster crowd never balked and just ate it up. On the way out, I said hi to Bill and he looked abit bummed. We talked for 30 seconds about the Gibson 339 he was trying out, but he didn't seem talkative so I thanked him and left. I felt genuinely bad for him. BTW, his "B" game is worlds above most player's "A" game.

Any of you guys hear "All We Are Saying"?. It is in very very heavy rotation for me.

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I saw the same line up out here in Santa Cruz last year in a very small room (150 or so people). He was amazing. He comes off without ego and very calm, yet very present on stage.

12. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

The MOST amazing Frisell show I've seen was in a duet with Russell Malone.

Malone was in fine, fine shape and just burned, his ears guide him through anything Frisell could think of and vise verse,,,

But then there were the solo spots

This was a Frisell loving crowd, and I'm telling you when Bill play a solo piece, with no effects just him and some verb,
    not one applause when he was done, never saw anything like it before, ever.
    The best thing the audience could do in appreciation was to remain silent while the next tune flowed on in like a feather in a stream.

Amazing, then they really took a break and the cheering began. Next tune,,,

13. razeregal

razeregal Member