Bill Frisell's circa 1986 guitar synth sound...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by samhambone, Mar 30, 2015.

1. samhambone

samhambone Member

...any pedals out there now that will get me in the ballpark of his Bass Desires guitar synth sounds?

2. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

I had the album and saw them live. I don't remember synth sounds. He had somekind of delay on a stool, and would manipulate the knobs while playing.

EDIT: there some kind synth sound on Wishing Doll for sure. I don't think he had it live, though. He played a Roland guitar synth on Rambler. A newer Roland model may get you there.

3. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

Very cool that you saw that group, Crimson Queen! I'm jealous.

He probably used a Roland G-300 guitar synth on Bass Desires, not sure what the guitar was (maybe a GR-303 or GR-505? don't know what else was out there at that time). He definitely used it on "Wishing Doll", and maybe on "Resolution".

I have no idea if there are any pedals that will get you there. Probably the newer Roland guitar synths or the Roland modeler (VG-8? does it even still exist?). From what I remember, the old MXR Blue Box, which they may have reissued, could get you something similar for single notes at least.

4. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I get in the ballpark with a harmonizer set down a 4th (Roland RSP-550 in my case, but any should suffice), distortion and some delay. Does the trick for me when I want to get into that zone.

5. p.j.

p.j. Member

There is definitely synth on Samurai Hee Haw. Love both Bass Desires cds. Scofield and Frisell were a wonderful match. Got back together on Sco's Grace Under Pressure. Also wonderful.

6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Great band! Bass Desires was pure joy.
    Seen them live several times and never Frisell had a synth. A pitch shifter is all you need...
    The original recording had a synth, tuned to a different interval, yes.