Bill Lawrence Plug Fitting Problems??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Harnessing the Universe, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Harnessing the Universe

Harnessing the Universe Member

I was putting together my board and my BL plugs were very tough to insert into some of my pedals. I mean VERY tough. They were fine with most, but I had some trouble with my Moog jacks accepting the BL plugs without being more forcefull than I should've. Also had trouble with a few MXR pedals and the metal end of one of the plugs even pulled out of its plastic jacket when I removed the plug!! Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with their Bill Lawrence plugs??

2. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I had one with my Mojohand 442. I dont think it's even possible to get the plug into the jack. I had to take the back plate off & bend the jack a little to get it in. They come out if i pull real hard, but I absolutely couldnt get it in without unscrewing. Anyone have a solution?

I still love the cables though

3. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

Yeah, I've had a tough time getting SOME of the plugs out of SOME of my pedals. One of them gets kinda stuck in my TIM. If I twist while pulling, it comes out much easier. Try that. If you inspect the tips of BL plugs, they have much sharper edges than most plugs, and I think this causes the problem. If I had a Dremel, I'd file that edge a bit. Otherwise, I'm happy with them.

4. Zelja

Zelja Member

Yep, had the same issue in some jacks...

5. waylon

waylon Member

i've had 3 plugs come apart inside pedals. contacted Becky @ Bill Lawrence and she didn't offer any help.

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

They're chronically very tight in my Silver Kiss's input jack. Really gotta yank the cable to get it out of there. But that's the only jack of the 28 jacks on my board that gives me grief! NEVER had a plug come apart in a pedal (!?) - damn, Waylon - sorry to hear that! This is the first time I've ever heard of that re: Bill Lawrence plugs and I've been watching and posting in BL cable threads on multiple forums for years. Was it a recent order? Maybe he's using a difference plug source?

-Ben

7. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It's only on the jacks where the tip is hitting two contact points for me. On almost all of those I have to take the bottom plate off... slightly bend one of the contact points and get the tip connected.

It's a hassle.. but the cables work and sound great... so I'm keeping them for now.

rock

bford

8. waylon

waylon Member

Ben C.-i bought the cable and plugs last year. While i like the cables and plugs in general i'm scared of them breaking in another pedal. and its not like i've been rough on them. one had only been plugged in once when it came apart.

all 3 have come apart the same way too. the end of the plug and a little cable it seems comes out w/ a sharp piece of metal (?) leaving the rest of the plug empty inside.

9. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

I had the same issues on some of my pedals, just take the back plate off and use a small regular flat screwdriver head and gently push the tabs over on the input jack while working the plug in.

It seems the input jacks with the double tabs were the stickler, output jacks no problem.

It seems the tabs on some input jacks bind on the 1st BL groove near the tip.

They will come out easy if you need to remove them, but the small flat blade regular screwdriver is handy to have in your gig bag if you want add or remove pedals.

Hope this helps!

JK

10. Harnessing the Universe

Harnessing the Universe Member

Yah man, that is the exact thing that happened to me on my Blue Box and I had to take the whole thing apart to get it out! On my Murf I was lucky enough to be able to push and twist it back in hard enough to get the tip back out with the rest of the plug.

Out of the 24 or whatever that I ordered I superglued 6 of them last night so hopefully I don't have this problem anymore. FWIW, I bought mine in May 08.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Interesting - so it sounds like the tip of the plug (beyond the black ring) which also has the 'needle' which pierces the core of the cable is that which is remaining 'stuck' in the plug. Interesting. Those ARE two separate pieces, so I'm wondering if there's some adhesive not being applied or tolerance not being held as tightly to with a certain batch of plugs...

I'm only thinking it's a batch problem because again, this is something that has not been reported for years since the inception of the cable line. Sorry that Bill, Becky & company have not been helpful, too...

12. sharkminusbear

sharkminusbear Member

The square edge on the cable tip should be rounded. On stereo input jacks, it catches on the Ring prong. I open the back of the pedal and use a screwdriver to push the prong as I slide the cable in. It's a hassle, but you won't damage anything this way.

13. waylon

waylon Member

Ben C.-do you think super glue would hold them together? i'm hesitant to try but can't really lose anything (other than messing up the input jack on another pedal).

14. John_H

John_H Member

Somewhat on topic:

Has anyone been in contact with Bill/Becky lately? I called and emailed before Christmas, and again after Christmas regarding the pedalboard kit, and got absolutely no response. I had to leave a message on their voicemail which I did, but I figured I'd at least get a call back.

15. Grady

Grady Windjammer

I talked to Becky, on the phone, 10 days ago. I had to call about 3 times. It was about 1:00 pm PT when I got through.
    I ordered 40 more small plugs. She said they would be here in 7 days. I haven't received them yet.
    I bought the pedal kit from them last year. I'm just now starting to hook up the new boards. Man I hope I don't have any problems with the plugs.
    Has anybody made any guitar cables from their pedal kits?

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No idea! Worth a shot though?

Yes, I've made guitar cable from their pedal kit... except I used their larger tri-ring plugs. As durable as anything soldered.

17. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

I made some short patch cables up back in the spring, and just ordered 10 more short plugs. I've been happy with the cables, the issue at hand aside. Just make sure you don't screw down too tightly on the little hex screw when making the cables—this will render the cable inoperable! Screw down just enough so that the hex screw is barely flush with the plug and NO MORE.

18. Grady

Grady Windjammer

Thanks, That's a good thing to know.

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Well, the instructions do clearly state to screw the set-screw in FLUSH. Why would you screw it in more than that?
    All it's doing is puncturing the outer jacket to make the ground connection. You definitely don't want to screw it in too much because you'll eventually hit the core of the cable and that will cause a short.

-Ben

20. charmboy

charmboy Member

I've had this issue with a couple pedals... Seems like you'd have to really force it in there for it to get stuck. If it's hard to push in, that's when you should open it up and do the screw driver bend mentioned earlier in this thread. You'd have to really pull had to break one of these, and I can't see putting that kind of force on my cables or pedals whether inserting or pulling out... I'm really trying to avoid a dirty joke here :)