Bill Lawrence p'ups; shielded or unshiled? And which L combination do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by beedoola, Feb 8, 2012.

1. beedoola

beedoola Senior Member

I have an L-500L in my bridge and L-500R in the neck, I'm not sure if either are shielded. What are the differences in performance between the two? I imagine a shielded pickup would be better offering less noise ya? If so, why is there an unshielded option??? Educate me please.

ALSO

If you use L-500s in your guitars; what models do you use? L-500 R & L, C & L (neck and bridge)? I never saw the Cs until now.

Thanks!

2. beedoola

beedoola Senior Member

3. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

4. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

I talked to becky about that and the shielded have a lower amount of noise and a sweeter high end.

Good luck on finding any noise on the unshielded ones though. Its one of those things, I am sure there is a lower noise floor, but the unshielded ones make most pickups sound dreadfully noisy in comparison.

The Rs are still a bit higher output than I would have anticipated, and make a great match to an xl. If you were going l in the bridge, I might go c.

5. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

Shielding acts like a capacitor in parallel, which shunts highs to ground. You can also get some eddy currents.