Bill Lawrence vs. Lavaman Solderless

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 22Top, Sep 8, 2008.

soooooooooooooo?

1. Bill Lawrence

2. Lavaman Solderless

3. None of the above

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 22Top

22Top Member

Which would you choose and why?? I'm upgrading, and not quite sure what to go with.

Thanks
    Jarek

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I haven't voted in the poll because I haven't owned both.
    And have the people who voted owned both? I think only one person on here I know of has.

-Ben

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I love the BL, great sounding and durable cable, you can unplug it pulling the cable itself and they won't breaK.

4. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I really like my Bill Lawrence ones, but I also know that Lava Man is pretty much the man when it comes to cables. I don't think you can go wrong either way. The BL ones were pretty cheap when I bought them but I heard they raised the prices right after I ordered

5. benjammin

benjammin Member

I'm not voting, but I am fully intending on getting the Lavaman Solderless kit if I ever convince myself to use a pedalboard mainly from Lavaman's presence on the boards. If that makes me a fool, I'm a fool!

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I happen to really like the Bill Lawrence cables and have no need to look further.

7. 22Top

22Top Member

Thanks for the input. If I'm reading the sites correctly, the BL's are about 1/3rd the cost??? Is there going to be that much of a difference in the sound quality??? I understand that not everyone has tried both. But I'm thinking that I might benefit better from using the extra $100 to invest in a PP2, in order to clean up my sound floor. I'm just using wall warts and a daisy chain off my boss tuner and cheapo colored patches.

Lots of fun this is!

8. jamison162

All I can tell you is the Bill Lawrence cable is very clear and detailed. Very natural sounding. Way better than George L's and Canare which is what I A/B'd it directly with for my pedalboard wiring application. I also use the BL cable for my Amp's FX loop Send & Return.

9. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Member

I've only used the Bill Lawrence cables and plugs, and never felt a need to switch. Knock on wood, I've never had the plugs fail me yet...both the short and the standard size.

10. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I currently own the Bill Lawrence. I bought them on a TGP recommendation when I was just lurking around on here. Dealing with the company has not been pleasant. I understand that they are busy and trying to make money but the customer service has been marginal at best.

If I had known that Lava was so well represented here I would have paid the premium to get the lava. Plus, the Lava plugs have a texture that makes them easier to grip than the BL.

11. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I think Bill Lawrence might be a two person operation, him and his wife. Not sure if that's completely accurate, but she always answered the phone when I called.

Awesome cable, absolutely love it. Like Jamison said, very clear and natural sounding. I use it for my board and as my main cables.

12. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I use BL myself. Excellent stuff. I have no experience with the Lava stuff, but a LOT of experience communicating with the lavaman himself. Class act all the way. Always willing to answer questions. . . . . .even when it was pretty clear I wasn't going to actually BUY anything at the time. Also, for the record, his solderless cable wasn't out yet when I got my BL stuff.

13. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Which you have to do when unplugging it from a Sliverkiss... man those jacks are tight!

14. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

So, everyone commenting loves the BL's, but Lava is leading the votes...
    Do people who spend more money have less to say?

15. macmax77

exactly!. this man is my twin, hahahhahahha!!!!!!!
    I would get the BL, and use the spare money to get the PP2.

The BL's are great cables and very clear sounding, they last, they are great for the price, heck, i think they are underpriced.

Well, almost time to go out and enjoy the sun down here.

16. jamison162

The main thing about the Bill Lawrence cable too is that it is thin for wiring a board and cold not be easier to assemble. A baby could do it.

I'm not knocking Mark at all, I buy from him too, but if Bill & Becky were members here, I'm sure their products would get a lot more "exposure & recognition" as well.

17. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

:cough: I might have some 22 BL plugs for sale at a reasonable price :cough:

18. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'd upgrade your power supply first and then worry about cables... what's the point of having a nice clean signal path when half of what you're pushing through it is hum and buzz... just my $.02

Really though, I'm looking to do the same cable upgrade and BL's look like such a great deal that I can't pass it up. On the other hand Lavaman knows his stuff and as others have mentioned, he's a regular poster here which is great. Still though, all that extra cable and the price have me going to the BL's. Just wish his site/ordering process were a bit more user friendly.

19. jb1911

jb1911 Member

It's his daughter Becky that you talked to. It's just her and Bill.

20. macmax77

I have to say you cannot go wrong with either one, but i think the guys at BL also know their stuff.