Bill Lawrence Wilde Micro Coils

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ranster44, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

Anyone tried them? Demos look good, especially for $150 a SET!

2. rauchman

rauchman Member

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The alnico ones are just killer. The neodymium version is a bit flatter sounding, but still good.

Denzil Mathias likes this.
  4. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I had the privilege of creating the guitar Bill used to demo them at the 2009 NAMM in Nashville.. Arlo West was the guitarist... To everyone they sounded amazing.. but not perfect according to Bill.. it took him another year to perfect them... quite simply, they are jaw dropping amazing..

The articulation is unparalleled.. cutting through the mix like a legion of Jedi Knights with Light sabres ..

Don't let the price fool ya.. It was Bill's philosophy to NOT take advantage of people... that is the ONLY reason the prices on his pups are so reasonable..

Rock on,

Ron

[​IMG]

5. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

I love them. Ceramic for metal and Alnico for everything else. I have a set of each. Incredible sound and barely any noise. I almost never hear any.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  6. Ron Kirn

If God came down and told me I could only play a guitar for one more day... It could be anything.. it would be a BlackGuard Tele with Bill's MicroCoils.

Oh, and I make pickups and was taught by Bill..However, I have not surpassed the Master... I'm still just a junior Padawan. :D

I guess I'll remain so, since Bill left us a a few years ago... I sure miss those 3 hour phone calls...

r

7. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

I have a set of 280s in another guitar and I LOVE them!

8. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

I spoke to him 3 times on the phone for a couple of hours in the process of getting my first set of pickups from him. He was an amazing man and clearly a genius. I liked him. I wish I had known him

derekd and Gig Young like this.
  9. Ron Kirn

Yeah what people don't realize is if "you" play an electric guitar, Bill's influence lives within it, and it doesn't matter who made it.. or how exotic ya think it is.. Bill lives within..

He began as a 20 something "hanging" with Leo.. his influence lives in some of Leo's earliest pickups.. and he continued as a consultant to Fender, and Elektrisola, the company that makes the pickup wire any of the better winders use.. he continued to the end.. His "best friend" at Fender was Abby, who he met as that "kid" way back when.

In the 70's as head of Gibson's R&D .. his influence permeated those creations... In the 80's as partner with Dan Armstrong, developed some of the "nouveau exotica" sculpting guitars of that era .. he went on to develop the SCN for Fender.... and Fender was negotiating for exclusive rights to the MicroCoils.. when the opportunity expired, as he was called to work on some Heavenly Guitars.

Today, Becky and his daughter Shannon continue his legacy... nothing's changed, in that they are some of the finest pickups money can buy at any price.....

I'm sure the future will place him next to Lloyd Loar, Orville, Christian Frederick, Leo, and Les .. we all owe him a tip of the hat, and a raised dram of . . . well, For Bill it would be Schnapps..

Ron

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    aiq, Uncle Dad, Mad Wombat and 12 others like this.
  10. Ron Kirn

ya know, I'm a "stickler" for a quality appearance in the "stuff" i buy... I don't like junk, and i sure don't like "cookie cutter" stamped out anything...

If you've ever examined a Rolex you know you aren't holding a 39.95 repro from WalMart. The Rolex's superiority is exuded by the simple appearance in it's attention to detail.. If you've ever Driven a Ferrari, ya know it's NOT a 35K Ford (although Ford makes a great care for the $$) .. and I don't care if it's a Saleen . it's still an "also ran"..

It's in that kinda arena one can view the Bill Lawrence pickups... just hold one and examine it, you know it was built with a passion. About anyone can make a pickup, but unless built with that passion, it's just another pickup.. although a lot of those "just anothers" are really fine pickups too..

Bills are stunning in the attention.. and Listening to him explain his rationale for choosing every facet of the construction to "tune" the voice, be it the wire used for the leads, the Alloy used to forge the mounting screws and ferrules, the baseplate on the Tele Bridge pickups, even the resin used in some designs, every aspect is selected for precisely how it's presence in the magnetic field can sculpt the sound almost subliminally... You don't get that from Joe Blow's home town muddy flop busters...

While some may just prefer the vintage look, and Bill hated the overused word, "Vintage", to hold a vintage style compared to Bill's pickups is much like holding a hunk of coal, and comparing it to a Diamond... Guys, they're the same "stuff" but you aren't gonna confuse one for the other...

And for the price, Fender is just plain whacko for not giving Becky whatever she wants for exclusive rights to 'em.. just plain nuts . . :crazy .. .

r

11. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

Bill also taught Tim Shaw about pickup making.

Gig Young likes this.
  12. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I still have a Strat set and Tele set sitting in the original packaging making me feel guilty. I went on a spree of some description (Microcoils, Lollar Horseshoe, Thorn GT 90s, Foilbuckers) a while back and had grand illusions for a number of guitars. I managed to get a few of them going but then a run of 'can't turn it down' guitars came along and I had to put a halt to future plans for the foreseeable. That was before this recent stuff so I really have no idea if I'll ever find out.

13. Ron Kirn

as he did Seymour Duncan, Joe Bardin, and many, many more.

He would often purchase a set of someone's pickups ... a competitor's if you will, and reverse engineer them. Then contact the maker and share his expertise, helping them refine their product.

Sometimes he would meet resistance, even anger, but he harbored no animus, and just let it slide by, silently.

His goal, was to genuinely help us all achieve that remarkable sound we all crave.

r

14. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I had one of the first sets in a Strat I built a few years ago (Still go the t-shirt).

I would describe them as a touch hi-fi, very articulate, very Stratty... Although they didn't quack as much as some other sets I've owned. But, I liked them a lot, especially for the price!

15. rauchman

rauchman Member

I made a Warmoth Tele last year using Bill Lawrence T48 (bridge) and T45 (Strat / neck) pickups from wildepickups.com. I love them. I had also picked up a set of MicroCoils that I'm going to put into another guitar at some point. I love their pickups, especially for the price!

16. rauchman

rauchman Member

Did you make that Bridge plate custom, to fit the Strat Bridge? Where do I find that Tele Bridge plate? I want to do exactly that.

17. Ron Kirn

that was a Callaham or Glendale, I forget... but it received underwhelming interest so they dropped it...

r

rauchman likes this.
  18. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I've used two sets - one Tele, one Strat - and both surprised me. Excellent pickups, highly recommended. Quiet, yet authentic. Very high quality.

19. RLD

RLD Member

20. stratamania

stratamania Member

Gig Young and RLD like this.