Bill Nash Guitars Anybody??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blakegrif, May 14, 2009.

1. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

I got a Nash S-57 earlier this year and it's become one of my favorite Strats. Not the best relic job but it fits me like a glove and plays beautifully.

2. paul14470

paul14470 Supporting Member

+1 for the K-Lines, very realistic aging on them. The Nash's I've seen look like they were dragged behind a pickup truck on I-95.

3. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Member

I have owned, and still do own, more T-style guitars than I have fingers and toes. First, the discussion about better or worse is pretty limiting- as I don't know that everybody bonds with the same type of guitar the same way. I also believe that these are the "good old days" when it comes to guitars. There are more choices at more different price points than ever before.

With that said, I think Bill Nash builds extraordinary guitars. Yes, he builds guitars. Comments that insinuate that because Bill does not grow the trees in his backyard, whilst drilling for oil to process the petroleum for the parts of the guitar that are made from plastic are just plain silly, IMO. If Bill does not build guitars, BMW does not build cars, Apple doesn't build computers, and no mass produced guitar company build instruments.

Play one. Play several. If these instruments inspire you to assemble music (I wouldn't say "make" music unless one creates their own musical structure from scratch) you have hit pay dirt. (what does pay dirt mean exactly?...) I have been fortunate to own several instruments built (there, I said it) by Bill Nash that speak to me. I have also had occasion to correspond with Bill and have found him to be one of the good guys. I might even say one of the best guys.

Does that mean Bill makes the greatest T style guitars in the world? Even better T style guitars than those hand carved in the absence of power tools by "real builders"?- that is up to you. I also own extraordinary T style guitars from RS Guitarworks- and I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that those guys in Kentucky might actually utilize parts when they build their guitars as well, but I don't actually have proof of that. I also own several Teles from Fender's Custom Shop, as well as their US Vintage Reissue series- they also make some incredible guitars. Aside from my Page P1, (which is an entirely different animal at an entirely different price point) all of them were built from parts.

It ain't just about the parts. For me, Bill's guitars transcend the sum of their parts. To me, they just feel "right". The good news is, with so many choices I think just about everybody can find an instrument that speaks to them. Right now I've been playing an "Old Friend" from RS Guitarworks with TV Jones pickups and a Bigsby that I can't put down. It is a great era for folks that love guitars!

4. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

where does one play a lot of nashs'?

5. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Just like all the other awesome gear discussed on TGP, you have to be lucky enough to live by a couple great dealers.

In my case i had 2 dealers within an hour drive, until one folded. So many of these brands, be it amps/guits/pedals, are not going to be up for demo without ordering blind.

I know i really would love to play a bunch of Swart's or Savage's. No local dealer. Would love to play LSL's or Danocasters. No local dealer.

I'm pretty happy playing Nash's and Dr Z's, because i've been lucky enough to run thru a bunch, and figure out what's the right fit.

cheers

6. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

You can grab them at Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse, WI for 2500 or less new all day. He's got 60+ listed on his website. Relics, Closet Classics and NOS versions.

Maybe the OP is talking 35-4000 for a Masterbuilt, different of course.

7. cerichards

cerichards Member

I've played a few... including a black guard Tele with a pronounced "V", which was a bit unusual. The S57's are killer, and the resonance of all this stuff has been incredible. I've been impressed every time I've picked one up. Here in Atlanta, the local Nash dealer likes paring them with Goodsells. Good combo.
    The handful of K-Lines I've played have been cool, but the relecing does not go as deep... which is not bad, but it is different.
    I'm dying to play a Danocaster. I've talked to him a bit about an offset, and he's super nice and very accommodating. Great interactions.

8. blong

blong Supporting Member

Nash's are good guitars. If you like one, buy one. Don't listen to others. Listen to the guitar, feel with your hands and hear with your ears, not your eyes. If you like his guitars then buy one.

If he worked for the Fender Custom Shop people would be singing his praises and guitars made by him would probably be fetching $3-4K. Since he's not fender his guitars don't fetch that much, but of all the ones I've played they are worth the money. He makes great guitars.

Bob

9. speedemon

speedemon Member

While I found the relicing rather goofy, the Nash is otherwise a fantastic guitar. I loved the neck being a "Gibson" guy. Given the price, I expect my next Strat will be one. (I ended up with a Fender Highway 1, the "next closest thing" I could find for less $$)

10. mortadella

mortadella Member

Nice looking tele. I bet it plays well too. You got a better deal on this one than if you had bought a tele through Fender Custom Shop.

11. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I was in Atlanta Discount Music last week....I think they had close to 10 of them. I hadn't played any of them in the store....but I had played one a few weeks ago at a shared bill. I didn't plug it in....but it seemed like a nice guitar playability wise.

I'm a Danocaster owner....it's my #1.

12. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

Bill Nash is a nice guy and he is helpful and honest and will do his best to make things right,but: Did alot of trading around to find a keeper------
    1)had a couple where wood was "dead"-no resonance when strummed unplugged-sounded OK plugged in, though, but I hate dead wood...
    2)couple where neck was so warped truss rod could not correct the underbow; Bill said got a bad batch of wood-not good
    3) couple needed 2-3 redos for fret sprout due to repeated shrinkage (I keep my gear in a humidified room)-not good
    4) skunk stripe fell out of a maple neck strat-major bad
    5) rusted parts frozen stuck
    6) Bill chooses not to put weatherchecking on his relics-beat to hell, no weatherchecking
    8) The worst- the nitro was so sticky as to make them uncomfortable to play-my buddy's bass still is 3 yrs later
    9) They all were set up very well, no complaints there. Honestly, with the help of my local (frustrated ) dealer I traded back and forth but the abovementioned glitches finally made me decide not to own one.Sorry,Bill-he is a nice guy and does really try to make things right-did not work for me

13. Flanman

Flanman Member

Just recently acquired my first Nash.. T-63 tele.. I've owned and played some pretty awesome CS strats and Teles and this guitar plays just as good if not better than those at about half the price. Super resonant, responsive and feels like a worn in catchers glove... GREAT GUITAR!

14. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Like Lollar pickups

:rolleyes:

15. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

K-Line does it better.

16. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

Great players, awful finishes... Very expensive. So many other options

17. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Odd thread bump 2 years later just to say "meh".

I have a S63 that I like a lot. I was very skeptical when I picked mine up used, and expected to find that Nash guitars to be all hype. I was surprised instead to find it to be the best playing and sounding Strat style guitar that I ever played.
    The relic is a little overdone, but the guitar itself is top notch. Tightest neck pocket I’ve ever seen on a bolt on.

18. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Another bump.

I've looked at more than a few Fender Custom Shop Tele's. I go back to playing a Nash Tele with Lollars almost 5 years ago in a shop here in Denver. To my shame, I didn't buy it on the spot.

Yes, it's an assembled guitar, but it's a fooking WELL DONE assembly. (The Lollars don't hurt.) All I can remember is that I went through all pup, vol, and tone knob setups, and I had a hard time finding a crappy sound...in fact I didn't find anything unusable. I did not find that to be so with Fender's $4500 faithful reproduction.

At $1750 (as opposed to $4k+ for a Custom Shop), this seems like a no brainer. Thoughts?

EP

19. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

Is the relic a little much? Absolutely. Is it one of the best playing guitars I've ever touched? YES! This thing is a GREAT guitar in every way. The first strat I liked. Upgraded the plastics with more correct Montreux and Martin Six String Customs bits.

[​IMG]

20. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Like him or not, a lot of pro musicians are using Nash guitars these days. And they don't get them for free . . .