Bill Nash Strats

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Joe Tone, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Joe Tone

Joe Tone Silver Supporting Member

I recently bought a Nash 60's strat reissue, all relice'd out and it is better than my two pre-cbs strats that I have owned. Now before you go nuts, lemme explain.

1. Who wants to take a 20k guitar to a gig?
    2. One of my pre-cbs guitars sounded like garbage, so not all that is vintage is golden.
    3. This Nash rings like crazy and I can mod it with pickups and such and not have destroyed the value at all.

Now why buy a beat up guitar at all? Three reasons:

1. the vibe is coool.

2. I hate being the first to put a ding in a new guitar, and

3. This is the best reason of all. When I bought my first Fender relic years ago, I called the custom shop to ask a question about it. the conversation went like this:

me: "hi, got a question about a relic"

CS: "Did you buy it new or used?"

me: "Doesn't matter"

CS: "what do you mean it doesn't matter?"

me: "Hey, either it was never new or it still is. It's a relic, right? Did you document the relicing?"

CS: "Uh...no."

me: "then it's still new"

CS: "We never thought of that..."

A good relic should always maintain it's value because it was used when it was new! I can throw it down the stairs and it's still new! :jo

But seriously, I already bought another Nash and they just blow Fender relics away. Big C neck, 6100 frets. One is a 9.5 radius and the other is compound radius, 10" - 16". Plays and sounds and feels amazing, like an old pair of jeans. (I'm not suggesting you can play and old pair of jeans)

Any other nash lovers out there?

2. Zoner

Zoner Member

Hi-Newbie on the forum...I have 2 Nash strats & 2 teles...AWESOME!!!!!!!

3. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

I always used to joke when I'd bump mine "Oops.....the value just went up another $10!!!"

I'd love to try out a Nash, but you pretty much have to buy one before playing it- at least I don't know of anyone that has one near me (Cincy, Ohio) and they seem to be pretty much on back order......so for now, my Cunetto strat and tele will have to do for me- no complaints there, I have a couple of really nice ones I got into for a very fair price.

I've heard nothing but GREAT things about them- how do they compare to the mythical GVCG's?????

4. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

lol good point!

5. Joe Tone

I've heard nothing but GREAT things about them- how do they compare to the mythical GVCG's?????

I have actually played a GVCG 1954 strat replica at Lark st music in Teaneck, where I might add it was going for an obscene price, no fault to Buzzy as someone actually bought it.(4k?) It looked to old. Seriously, it resembled a copy I once had of the Declaration of Independence. It wAS LIKE THE Thomas Jefferson sig. strat, looking like real old parchment or something, kinda bad varnish look? I only saw this one and the rest could all be great. anyway I'm in NJ so if you ever get close come play it.

6. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

noice...

I love my shell pink Nash S-63. Just the best damn strat I've ever had.

7. currypowder

currypowder Silver Supporting Member

I bought a used, lightly reliced Nash Strat, Tobacco Burst with a Warmoth 10-16 compound radius fatback neck about a week ago. It is an absolute joy to play. As a result, I just put a hold on a Nash T-63, blonde, mint green pickguard, medium relic. It will probably be a month or two until I get it, and I will need to sell a guitar or two, but its definately worth it.

8. Joe Tone

I bought the white one that was in the picture next to it and then picked up a sunburst off ebay too. They are everything a strat should be in spades!

9. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Nash's are nice for the price (although i've heard they keep going up), usually play well and he has nice taste in pups so they usually sound good. The GVCG's usally are lighter, and while not a guarantee that they will play better and sound better, they often do.
    The GVCG's finish, relicing, and appointments, are superior to the Nash's, IMO. Some of the relicing on the Nash's look like he just went nuts with a screwdriver or belt-sander, while the GVCG's sport VERY convincing
    wear.
    The GVCG's should be better at 2 1/2 times the price, and i think they are. Still liked the Nash i had a lot.

10. Joe Tone

Well, there ya have it. I guess it's safe to say all the GVCG and Nash strats are all individuals and would have to be judged piece by piece.
    My white Nash is very light. I'll weigh it tomorrow and post.

11. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I just bought my first Nash Strat last week....a Shell Pink '62...I love it.

[​IMG]

12. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Hmmm.
    One of my acquaintances purchased a '57 Nash relic in Chicago.
    I was very excited to be able to try one out (as you can imagine you can't just walk into a store over here and try one out) - I mean, Bill Nash in my book is / was some sort of idol, having had the cojones to stand up to and been bashed by Big F Brother, and so on.

Alas,
    I was disappointed from the sound (the relic job was really outstanding).
    It sounded flat, compressed with a limited frequency response... :(
    Must have been the pickups IMO... but then again, for $1500 (IIRC) I guess I could not scream for a set of hand-wound Lollars.
    Or maybe I should?

JJ

13. Unburst

Unburst Member

Nash are parts guitars, he buys parts, assembles and relics them.

GVCG are built from scratch.

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have a reliced parts guitar that I purchased on ebay for 1/2 the price of a Nash and in my opinion (and others), although it doesn't blow the Nash out of the water, it does edge it out just a bit. Also the nash wasn't very convincing. My Cunetto Strat I recently purchased, does blow both (Nash and my relic) out of the water though...sounding very close to my friends 1956 Strat.

But if you want to get a great reliced guitar that you can take to a gig and beat...Nash guitars are a good option.

15. voodoo364

voodoo364 Supporting Member

I think Nash's stuff is great. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Suhr a year ago. The Henderson Suhr was very nice, but I saved a ton of $$$ by purchasing a Nash..could not be happier.

16. Joe Tone

this is really interesting. I had a Cunetto strat and it weighed a metric ton and was incredibly bright sounding while my Nash is light and very punchy sounding. No doubt pickups are a vital part of the sound, but so is the rest of the signal chain and amps and all.

As far as GVCG and the handmade thing, I bought 2 Nash strats for a total of $2725.00. I have played a GVCG and was not impressed that it was real looking, it looked over relice'd, overaged, kinda like Jaques Cousteau found it underwater somewhere.
    As far as handmade vs parts goes. I don't get it. After you handmake a neck, isn't it a "part"? I mean if it was an archtop jazz box, I would probably want handmade, but were talking fender clones of old 50's and 60's guitars so I don't see how handmade comes into it.
    It all comes down to personal, still I wonder if logos and decals were all correct, I wonder in a blind test if we could tell the Cunetto from the Nash from the GVCG from the true pre-CBS fender, I mean without disassembling them and even more I wonder which we would actually like better?

17. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I have a Nash Strat and after I got it I sold a CS 59 reissue, and two Groshes. I don't look back with regret at all.

18. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Hey Scott,
    So far, so good then? What do you think of the Lace Holy Grails? Just curious. I know p/u's are soo subjective.
    Joe

19. Joe Tone

Hi!
    I like it so much I sold my PRS ce22 and bought another for backup. The new one has Lollars in it so I will do a comparison over the weekend and let you know, but I am so satisfied.:D

20. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Great! Glad to hear it. Even though I ended up selling both it was a hard decision on which one to let go first. I didn't plan on selling both. Even with selling both of them my debit card is still smoking after getting the /13 & Suhr at the same time.
    Joe