Bill Nelson/BBD-chronically under-appreciated

dckdog

Silver Supporting Member
I just put a new stereo in my truck and quite by happy accident, ended up listening to Futurama by Be Bop Deluxe. I'd put that album on the iPod but never really gave it more than a cursory listen. Boy, Nelson is a great guitarist and the whole band is just aces. It totally captures this transition from glam (Bowie/Roxy) to what was on the horizon in terms of punk/post-punk. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd/Gilmour guy but Bill's playing appears to draw from the same well as Gilmour's at time. I will now set about acquiring all the Be Bop Deluxe catalog.........

AlexF

Bill was and is incredible, and as i said on another thread about him here, always several years ahead of the world, which has cost him in popularity. Cant agree on the Gilmour comparison though. Bill is a whole league up from Dave, in creativity, originality and in certainly in pure technique as a guitar player back then.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Road trip The Who Live at Leeds & Live in the Air age! I think it would have been better for mankind if BeBop Delux stayed together another 10 years.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
One of the great things about Bill was his stellar playing was always in support of the song, and of the vision of the band as a whole. It was always Be Bop Deluxe, and not "Bill and these three other guys."

First time I heard "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" (the live version) his tone and touch amazed me. And that's just one facet of his playing.

Average Joe

Absolutely great. I think he was less popular than similar bands (Bowie, Roxy Music) because there were fewer hooks in his songs. As much as I love his songwriting there isn't as much hit material there.

And year I've been hearing a Gilmour connection in his playing as well, only Nelson always had far more chops. Not a slight of DG btw

Not under-appreciated by us obviously, I've been a fan for years. He makes more music today than ever. It's nice to see him mentioned here, he does seem to be getting a bit more ( well earned! ) recognition these days.

His latest project is a collaboration with Reeves Gabrels, ex Tin Machine guitarist, should be interesting.

Re the comparison with David Gilmour; there are some similarities I think, they both like the Major Pentatonic scale, tone-plus bends and have a slippery legato style. Bill also likes to play very rapid legato scales and alternate picking runs.

Hard to pick a favourite recording from such a huge catalogue but I guess through sheer number of plays it must be Live! In The Air Age.

Third Uncle

If anyone wants to hear some truly great Bill Nelson music you should go to the Sound on Sound magazine website and order the "Illuminated at Dusk" cd. It is probably my favorite Bill Nelson recording post BBD.

Porrig

I got into Bill Nelson via his work in Red Noise. He's an incredible musician and always a joy to listen to. He is, along with Brian Setzer, just one of those guitarists that, aside from dropping my jaw to the floor in awe, sometimes just make me think - 'F..k it, I'll just run a bath and test out that new toaster'. I have never been and never will be within a mile of what he is capable of doing on a guitar.

Dharmajester

Vaguely knew Bill many years ago. He is one of those people blessed with perfect pitch. He just has to hear something and he can pretty much pick up a guitar and play it back at you...
Very broadly talented guy...

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Always has been, and still is, an essential tonemaster IMO, just love his sound and phrasing & melodic sense, &c.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Vistamix is my favorite Bill Nelson album.

I love Mick Karn. Probably my favorite bassist of all time. His playing on this track is just INSANE. I have also been a big Bill Nelson fan for many years. The dude is a genius.

Mordheim

Silver Supporting Member
No Trains To Heaven is my fav. I just love those growling guitar tones he produces.

Trending Topics