Billie Eilish and the ASMR phenomenon.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ubersooner, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

I'm weirdly fascinated by the intersection of viral content and professional entertainment. I've been following Eilish for a number of years, observing her mastery of the new entertainment culture that is empowered by social media in all its forms. The video below takes a look at how her music borrows from the ASMR phenomenon. I'm weird.

2. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

Haven't most artists (or at least commercially successful artists) since the advent of stereo sound used it in a similar fashion? I'm not getting that this is some kind of new phenomenon, except that apparently ASMR is a thing now. Her style of music (sparse backdrop) does lend itself to throwing more obviously audible tricks into the music, but panning is hardly new or original.

3. wox

wox Supporting Member

Right, the same conversation was had around Sgt Pepper, Pet Sounds, Dark Side of the Moon, Tommy, Ziggy Stardust, and like 1000 other records.

4. fingertip

fingertip Silver Supporting Member

I think sonic experimentation is essential. What this lady does comes off as creepy to me but I understand that is simply where the sound leads. Somewhat in the way high gain amps churning out roots and fifths will naturally connotate scary sounds and so we get the black and the skulls. Back to reading 'This Is Your Brain on Music'.

5. mikebat

mikebat Member

I always loved experimental elements in recording, whether it was Peter Gabriel including tint scraps, noises and grandular effects. Same with Radiohead.

But....the fact that this is a cult like thing....Korean food slurping... dentistry...whispering, that is odd to me. Whatever, it isn't groundbreaking...it is what they think is good.

And some of those production techniques are far from innovative, they are totally everyday techniques and that the fans of ASMR think they are new are cute, at best.

What stimulates genZ's is odd to a GenXer like me.

6. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

Maybe the rediscovery of headphones, and particularly of them as a primary listening device, has made a new generation of listeners more aware of music immersion? Only now it gets bundled in with some kind of label, whereas before it was just "cool" or "trippy".

fretless, roswell, John Quinn and 5 others like this.
  7. mikebat

mikebat Member

to me, it isn't even what it is the music, it is the legions of people listening to crinkling of paper...to soothe them. People slurping while they eat. The sound of fingernails on foam. Then discussing how it is amazing that they pan it left to right. I mean...

"where's my safe space? I wanna curl up and cry a little."

fretless, ZMoney, roswell and 7 others like this.
  8. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

I just posted because i thought it was interesting. I don't think anyone is suggesting that recording innovation is a new thing or that any of the recording techniques are ground breaking. But I think their recording approach absolutely borrowed from people from a certain demographic being obsessed with ASMR videos. I have young step kids and that's how I discovered the ASMR phenomenon and in fact, the song Ocean Eyes. These kids are immersed in a culture that is all day everyday and pretty much global. Through youtube, instagram, tiktok, snapchat, etc., they share everything instantly. I think the gulf between GenX and GenZ is larger than any other generational gulf. I have never inhabited the culture that informs their point of view. There is no value judgement in that on my part. I just think it's interesting.

9. taco-man

taco-man Member

If I wanted clicky mouth-sounds, I can turn on NPR news. Those folks seem to all have cottonmouth.

10. prototype

prototype Member

this is how all normal people sound when they are on the radio. its due to the compression. the only people who don't sound like this are professional talk radio puds who have honed their talk radio voice to both remove plosives an sibilance.

11. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I think it’s interesting too, especially given the points you highlighted re: global culture, instant sharing, etc.. Sure, some of the techniques are borrowed but who cares, they are making new music with them, cool.

I also think it’s interest how quick people are to dismiss music made by younger people in an almost defensive way. Weird.

12. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Eh, I'm a Gen Xer and I totally got strange relaxation from watching Bob Ross.

13. mikebat

mikebat Member

do you equate Bob Ross with dentistry or more with Korean food slurping?

:)

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

The trip to me about this sort of thing is how they pull it off live. If you google this artist and look for live performances... it's different for sure.

derekd likes this.
  15. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

And the New Yankee Workshop - all the power tools were mixed at a low/medium murmur. Like white noise.

16. scopa

scopa Silver Supporting Member

I don
    the point is just how she is using it and how the ASMR crowd is picking up on it. No mention that anything here is new or groundbreaking. Just interesting.

derekd likes this.
  17. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Paging Brian Eno ... ? :cool:

*** done at a higher level imo

fretless and mikebat like this.
  18. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

This squares with how my brother in law described Eilish (his daughter is a big fan - mine not so much so I am less familiar with her music as a result) - music his daughter can put on in the background and otherwise ignore. So basically it is elevator music for the current generation to provide background noise while they do other things... with seems to correlate with the ASMR elements.

The tracks I've heard don't really resonate with me particularly - not surprising as a 50yo guitar player - but I get that there is creativity involved.

19. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
  20. hellbender

hellbender Member

The aural equivalent of foley.

Rod and hookstratton like this.