billie eillish

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vegarman, Apr 12, 2019.

1. vegarman

vegarman Silver Supporting Member

i have been around the block a cuppla times, but i find her album hypnotic.

Ampedusa, Guitar55, wgs1230 and 5 others like this.
  2. WordMan

WordMan Member

Oh yeah, been reading the hype - in the NY Times and WSJ!! - and checked out a couple of songs. Good stuff!

3. m@2

m@2 Member

videos are pretty interesting too. Simple, using just lighting, basic visuals. Dig the production pf the music too.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  4. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

She has some interesting music (and videos). I might grab the album or at least a few songs on iTunes. I guess she comes up with most of her stuff with her brother?

5. ScratchyPot

ScratchyPot Member

Opposite reaction for me - I found it depressing and over-produced.

6. TCMx3

TCMx3 Supporting Member

it's not bad considering how wide the appeal is.

frankly it's not bad at all.

she's quite young, I'm curious to see what direction she goes.

interesting that Gen Z music is inheriting the same ennui of millennial music.

7. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

I kinda like her. The songs are catchy.

FiestaRed, ckfoxtrot and bainmack like this.
  8. chandra

chandra Member

Not a fan of her music. I think she’s this generations Lorde, just even weirder and less talented.

Neverwhere and bainmack like this.
  9. bainmack

bainmack Member

This girl has very good vocals on her other videos but her latest music doesn't showcase it.
    she's definitely 'weird' by yesterdays definition and therefore 'hip' by todays generation.
    I think she's an industry plant appealing to the "not another industry artist" crowd that pretends to only like Indie artists, or unconventional or 'different'

those are my 2cents.

37 others likes this.
  10. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

Her brother should be mentioned, I think does most of the music part and producing, he is with her live every time, playing various instruments.

11. jimipage

jimipage Member

She's the best new artist I've heard in many years. Great songs, provocative lyrics and persona. She could be this generation's Kate Bush if she pushes the envelope.

wox, Feely6, Multicellular and 3 others like this.
  12. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

what's not to like?
    Thank God, she's not yet another LZ wannabe band, after all :p

Papanate, Layne-o, WornFrets and 5 others like this.
  13. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Lorde's probably the best thing that's happened in mainstream music in 20 years - strong songwriter, great lyricist, amazing voice with her own singing style that bypasses all the usual fame school Whitneyisms, and very rare instance of a teenager signed to a major label that exercises complete creative control over her music and image. You might not like her music but she's the real deal, and the mainsteam needs people like her.

I don't get this place, everyone moans on and on about the lack of interesting music in the charts and on the radio like it was in the good old days and whenever someone breaks through that's actually doing something interesting that stands out there's a chorus of 'I don't like it, it's weird'.

I've not heard much Billie Eilish, although the videos a colleague showed me the other week made me think that she might be a fan of Die Antwoord's videos, after which we watched Die Antwood videos for ages rather then forming an opinion on Billie Eilish... I'll give her another go today!

chrisjw5, jammwill, cheapgtrs and 5 others like this.
  14. Phil M

Phil M Member

They’re about 5 years apart.

earwax, Lution, Moe45673 and 5 others like this.
  15. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

She's off to a promising start. I'm curious to see what direction she goes as her career evolves.

16. chandra

chandra Member

Lol, not that ‘generation’. No, think like Pokemon Gen 1, 2, etc. lol. Lorde is my gen, BE is squarely with the wave with the yutes.

Lorde is not the best thing to happen in twenty years, in any popular genres. I was a big believer when Pure Heroine came out, but she never improved live, and all her followup music was garbo. Her contributions to other tracks hasn’t been good. She got RoY syndrome.

If you dig her, that’s cool. I won’t take anything away from a talented young female artist, because she is a talented artist. But I and many others are of the opinion that Lorde is the same mold as, Tinashe, Jhene Aiko, Marina, Kehlani, H.E.R, SZA, Kali Uchis. And she really isn’t as good or more interesting than any of those listed artists.

17. ejecta

ejecta Member

My son played me some of Billie’s music and I found it better than some of the other artists he listens to. Both her and her brother are talented. That said not something I’d listen to on the reg. Due to this discussion I just checked out some of Lorde’s music... not something I’d put on one of my regular “new music” playlists either.

18. briwinters

briwinters Member

A bunch of my younger guitar students kept mentioning her so I finally gave her a listen this week. Probably my favorite new artist in years. Songs like “Bury a Friend” and “I Wish You Were Gay” have massive ear worm hooks, great production (her brother records everything in his bedroom of the house they grew up in) and is weird and quirky enough to feel genuinely authentic to my jaded ears.

Dave Grohl is on the record saying she is the future and he hasn’t seen anything like this since Nirvana...Thom Yorke from Radiohead is also apparently a huge fan too.

As a music teacher I can’t tell you I’m surprised that the next big thing is female and appears to be steering her own ship (with her brother). Stereotyping wildly here but in general my young female students are doing FAR more interesting things then the boys their age. And are more opening to learning things in lessons and tend to grow musically at a faster rate. Empowered young females with self produced music....a trend I’m totally in favor of.

For sure Id rather have a world of Billie Eilishs then another Greta Van Fleet.....

jammwill, Steve Hotra, Feely6 and 8 others like this.
  19. Imem

Imem Member

20. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I had no idea who she was until I saw her on “Hot Ones.” Now YouTube has decided that I need to see everything she’s ever done. There seems to be a marketing machine behind her.

37 others and Ubersooner like this.