billie eillish

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vegarman, Apr 12, 2019.

1. the_unwise

the_unwise Member

I finally bit the bullet a few weeks ago after seeing her everywhere - super happy I did. Her lyrics are fantastic, neither of them seem to take themselves too seriously, and her brother's production is fantastic. The panning and heavy trem effects for her vocals on the verse of "xanny" are wildly creative, I haven't heard anything else like it.

chrisjw5, xzacx and ckfoxtrot like this.
  2. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

As a guy, my first thought was she's pretty hot. Then, whoops, she's is only 17. There's something to hypnotic pale blue eyes giving you they "I'm on so many drugs right now" look. I'm getting a Fiona Apple vibe, only I liked Fiona better, personally.

I'm not sure about the tunes, as I've only heard what is posted on this thread. Seems like it's OK, but the schtick will get old fast without modification.

3. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Refreshing that she's at her age & not all T&A like every other pop sensation.

Bury A Friend is one of the best mainstream songs I've heard in years.

the_unwise likes this.
  4. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Old man yelling at cloud, but man that "female pop singer" weird accent thing drives me f'in bananas.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

She's good..I like her. I heard a great song on the radio last Saturday and it was her...

She seems pretty cool, too. She a big fan of The Office...Here is a video I watched of her over the weekend..

6. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I call it the "Hot Potato" vocal style.

Jason Calieri likes this.
  7. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

I really enjoy her songwriting, singing, production. You gotta listen to some of this stuff on a decent system. There is some cool craft in some of the lower in the mix elements.

the_unwise and ckfoxtrot like this.
  8. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I really like the music of "Bad Guy", the mumbling/whispering? Not so much

5/7

9. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I like her. Bury a Friend is cool. Bad Guy would be if she had just left out "Duh" which, to me, is kind of annoying. I wasn't there, but I heard her set at Coachella was one of the standouts of the weekend. She is getting a lot of radio play around here.

10. Boonda

Boonda Member

11. b80

b80 Member

Consider me a fan. A refreshing voice amongst all the noise.

12. Feely6

Feely6 Member

Seems like a genuinely creative person - I like her. Also seems very mature and grounded for her age, so hopefully she will continue to follow her own path.

13. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Definitely has a Fiona apple for this generation vibe so good for her!

14. PB+J

PB+J Member

My daughter and her friends like her. I cannot stand her. The mopiness, the unearned despairing, the suicide glamorizing, the laconic, mannered vocals. Can’t stand her. Shes like the most annoying teenager, just a big bundle of self regard. She’s not aiming for people like me though, and she does have a very original production vision

Note I like most of what my daughter likes. I’m not one of those “Today’s music is no good” guys, not at all. She really irritates me though

37 others likes this.
  15. slybird

slybird Member

I seldom listen to albums and seldom to anything more than once. I've played her album from beginning to end twice.

ckfoxtrot and Ampedusa like this.
  16. Feely6

Feely6 Member

How does one 'earn' despair?

Isn't that a rather patronising assumption that the young cannot experience genuine suffering or existential ennui?

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

They can, of course. If they come from a divorced/single parent/foster low income household in a dangerous neighborhood with no support for community stability and they have only ill/lame/addicted adults around them and a good night for them is one where they're left alone.

Otherwise, yeah, they have to earn it. Life's hard and you don't realize it until you move out of your parents house and start raising your own family and you start losing loved ones to old age/illness/other crap.... and that's if you've got a half decent work ethic! Despair is having the rug pulled out from under you and realizing that, this time, noone is going to come to your rescue and you're really f***ed now.

FWIW, I love Lorde's first album. Haven't really listened to her later stuff, but I should. Billie Eillish isn't doing it for me; I still think Avril Lavigne was a better 17 year old pop star.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  18. slybird

slybird Member

The thing about Eilish is it doesn't seem like she was trying to be a pop star. It is a very unlikely sound and songs to chart when compared to what else is on today's charts. Her popularity might have been orchestrated a bit by Interscope, but the charting on the hot 100 is certainly not something that was planned.

19. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

LOL

Jayyj likes this.
  20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My opinions are completely subjective. Avril came out in 2002 and singlehandedly brought the "band" concept back into mainstream pop. Sure it wasn't Led Zeppelin but compared to the music scene of the previous 4-5 years which was primarily electronic (eg Daft Punk) or solo vocalists (eg Jennifer Lopez) or one of a billion boy/girl bands, she was a huge breath of fresh air. I was in my early 20s and thereby the state of pop music meant much more to me at the time. I still like her first album when she was full of exuberant fresh energy.

Now I really don't care about the music scene. I ignore what I don't like and listen to what I do like. So if she is the savior of music or not, I don't know. She's undoubtedly talented and I like her silly acting in "Bad Guy" video but I wasn't a fan of this style of music when the XX were doing it.