billie eillish

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vegarman, Apr 12, 2019.

1. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

I love her. Songs like Bury a friend and When the party's over...holy crap. Good stuff!

Ampedusa and the_unwise like this.
  2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

First.....she's just a high school aged teenager, so to have come so far so fast is an incredible accomplishment in and of itself. That said, I think if an "older" guy like me (those of us brought up on the "classic rock" bands that existed long before MTV was around) listened to her music first before watching her videos at the same time, perhaps then a few more us might better appreciate the fresh creative sound she brings to the table with her songwriting and performance skills at the ripe old age of 17.

Honestly, I think at times visual imagery plays too big part of the marketing of such a talented artist like Billie.....but if she (and/or her producers) feels the creative need to utilize what I can only describe as "shock value" imagry to accentuate her songs, that's her prerogative. Not every artist is comfortable going the Tom Misch visual route (watch his song "It Goes Through Me" on YT and you'll get what I mean). But I'm biased when it comes to Tom's work. From the moment I watched his videos and heard his music, I knew this 23 year old kid was going to help lead to a modern day resurgence of sophisticated guitar based "pop" music, as well as making guitar solo's "cool" again. I really hope he does.

Anyway, I suggest that if old guys like me are going to listen to Billie for the first time, just click the YT video, then minimize the screen so you can hear her talent. She's loaded with it IMO.

Ampedusa likes this.
  3. the_unwise

the_unwise Member

I mean, do you know her personal life? Also, mental illness could be a factor here as well. A lot of people I know who like her music, including me, deal with mental illness on some level. I'm not saying she has it, but something about her art resonates heavily with those that do and that would be hard to fabricate.

Moe45673 likes this.
  4. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

[​IMG]

Just a snapshot of stuff on the majority of 13-19 year old's Spotify playlists today... have a listen:
    lil Pump: 920 Million Views
    Tyler the Creator: 57 Million Views
    lil Xan: 37 Million Views
    "Word" formula to create such lyrics: (10 x "F")+ (10 x "N") +(5 x "B")+(5 x "Wh")+ (5 x "420")
    upload to Soundcloud,
    Boom, you're a star.
    It'll be interesting one day seeing future geezers in kahkis at 30 year high school reunions remembering the music of their youth and having this stuff blaring from the speakers.
    And yeah, clouds, I'm yelling at you, you MF's.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    fetchmybeer likes this.
  5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

6. Feely6

Feely6 Member

You're describing the circumstancial, not the existential. All human beings live within the shadow of their own nothingness from day one. It's perfectly valid to explore this creatively, even if you haven't spent years being ground down by the rat race.

Fine, if her music doesn't do it for you, but it clearly resonates with others. It doesn't seem, to me, at least, to be contrived or manufactured.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

There's always a market for "freak" music--stuff that speaks to folks who feel like misunderstood outsiders. In the old days, this would have been someone sitting in their room with an acoustic guitar in an alternate tuning, singing about their emotional state in their head voice. Now, it's someone sitting in their room with a laptop, singing about their emotional state in their head voice.

So, eillish can be seen as a Joni Mitchell or Nick Drake for a new generation.

turntable_blues and cheapgtrs like this.
  8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

We can agree on that.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Being "ground down" is not at all what I intended to imply. Rather, the "existential" is something you can't truly appreciate until you are fully responsible for yourself, until you get that there's noone to catch you when you fall. Children can learn that early but those kids tend to overwhelmingly fall in the "circumstantial" environments I described. Smart kids and teens from all walks of life can understand that but, like everything else, until you experience it you can't fully comprehend it. This is why I am hesitant to accept Billie as some wunderkind who speaks to the human experience - most kids are telling me stuff I figured out a while back and have since deconstructed and rebuilt countless times (subconsciously, just by living life as well as observing the people in my life) into something much more complex and sophisticated than their initial revelation about the truth of life.

The despair, depression, and anxiety of today's youth is real but it is NOT ground in real survival and threat (as has been the human race's experience for thousands of years until, like, yesterday) rather in a sense of restlesness, purposelessness, and "junk" values. It's not their fault, noone has shown them an alternative, but their wailing about the purposelessness of life is ground in inexperience and their own cerebral understanding of it, not an actual account of what they know and are. If you saw the movie Titanic, they are like Kate Winslet before she meets Leo Dicaprio - privileged but find all the mannerisms, trappings, and symbolic gestures as dumb, pointless, and stifling.

This is why I liked Lorde. On her first album, she sang about what she knew and she was smart enough to recognize that the trappings of materialism is not worth obsessing over. "Royals" is such a kickass song on every level, including lyrically, and this is from a guy who NEVER listens to lyrics (I tend to focus on the music, melody, singer's emotion and rhythm, etc etc, than what the lyrics are actually speaking about).

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    turntable_blues and Feely6 like this.
  9. runningman

runningman Member

funny, I have two teenage daughters. one is obsessed with her, the other can't stand her.

she is undeniably talented. search out her playing solo acoustic and singing in her bedroom. she's the real deal.

the other thing is, her fans are obsessively loyal. it really is on another level entirely.

I have a feeling she has the talent and guts to really stretch her own boundaries. my prediction is that she'll ultimately become what Taylor Swift wishes she could be, but doesn't have the depth or gifts to pull off.

Feely6, cheapgtrs and Moe45673 like this.
  10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I like Taylor Swift. She's no Justin Timberlake (nor maybe Billie Eilish!), but she's evolved quite handily. While I don't love her music, I also don't switch away from a radio station if one of her songs from her post-country phase come on the radio.

11. runningman

runningman Member

yeah, I think she's good as well. I just find her songwriting redundant at this point, and I don't think she's a great singer.

but you've got to give her props for seizing the moment.

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

This ^^^
    I am a music instructor as well. A lot of my students want to learn how to sing / play her songs.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Indeed. Your description of Taylor Swift vs Billie is pretty much how I feel about Coldplay vs Radiohead.:D

sinasl1 likes this.
  14. runningman

runningman Member

yeah, I'll buy that analogy. you've got to admit, though, that the first Coldplay record is fantastic.

And I find Chris Martin's voice to be hauntingly alluring, in the same way Peter Gabriel's or Robert Smith's voices are. And even someone like Adam Duritz. Those voices seem perfectly suited to pop music.

15. sinasl1

I was so confused about Coldplay, that first record was so promising. When I hear it now it’s like, damn, it still stands up, great album.. why’d they get so... lukewarm?

16. sinasl1

Billie connects on a deep level with so many because it’s just so real. She’s a true artist (as is her brother) and they did it totally for the right reasons and organically. Just a couple talented kids making great music at home. It’s actually a testament to what you can do now, on your own, without some guy in a suit telling you to change things or that you’re not good enough. I hope people find it inspiring

17. runningman

runningman Member

Well, there's that old industry maxim that the first album is all the best material, and then since so much time is spent supporting that effort, the only thing left for the follow-up is the stuff that didn't cut it for the first record. Then the pressure builds because the second effort was disappointing, in which case all creativity is squashed.

I'm not sure if that was Coldplay's trajectory, but I do know that it's extremely rare to continue to pump out gems after that initial pile of good stuff is spent.

That's what's so incredible about bands who continue to crank out hits record after record. When you see bands like the Eagles, or Steely Dan, it's like two straight hours of hits. Mind boggling.

18. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

Dude, it's like she's got russian bots driving her social media. I did some research on her based on a video posted on here awhile back. She's been groomed for this since she was 12 or 13 and her team's ability to work the angles on every media platform is nothing short of scary. Remember how certain taste maker DJ's could be bought back in the day, to push an artist? This is next level and i'm not even suggesting it's crooked. I don't know enough about it. I just know the synergy between youtube, instagram, twitter, snapchat etc. seems to be exploitable to staggering results by those in the know. I'm old.

transmaniac likes this.
  19. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

I think she's very talented and I find her music interesting

20. Zandalf

Zandalf I don't remember

One of my band members sent me a WSJ article [ https://www.wsj.com/articles/billie...d-unusual-strategy-no-hit-singles-11554723001 ]
    on how this teenager had "sold" over 300,000 copies of her album in the first week of release, ostensibly to jibe me into trying to be more positive about selling our own cds, which, as we know, almost no one - except some TGP losers like myself - still buy. I'd never heard of her, but looked into it a bit. I discovered that she actually has "moneyed interests" clearly supporting her at a level there's no way I, or my band can match. However, I dug a little deeper, and while the link below does seem to be from a rather judgmental source, it DOES bring up some interesting points....

Here was my response to my band member about Billy Joel. Uh, I mean, Eillish!

I've been wanting to respond to your email with the WSJ link about Billie Eillish, which included the provocative headline that she "sold " over 300,000 "units" w/o any airplay. Units?.... Ummm - shortly, it's revealed that the figure is for cds, yeah, but, uh, also, streams... I'll bet it was like 99% streams... NO young person buys cds these days... and this is young-persons-music.... Someone OWNS this chick... And - if you read the comments, it's pointed out that she'd been BIG on SiriusXM..... (HEY! Don't YOU have a connection at Sirius?.... Why aren't WE in HOT rotation?....) Anyway, it's obvious from the wsj article that there's BIG BUCKS behind little miss Billie... A 360˚ deal no doubt... Corps own almost ALL of the media... Why talk about Billie and not, say, Joe Bonamassa?.... It's so bad.... but....

So... (I'll admit to randomly stumbling upon this, but....) I ran into this:
    https://vigilantcitizen.com/musicbusiness/the-disturbing-meaning-of-billie-eilishs-bury-a-friend/

Billie. Cute. I think I'll go kill myself![​IMG]