billie eillish

slybird

Dude, it's like she's got russian bots driving her social media. I did some research on her based on a video posted on here awhile back. She's been groomed for this since she was 12 or 13 and her team's ability to work the angles on every media platform is nothing short of scary. Remember how certain taste maker DJ's could be bought back in the day, to push an artist? This is next level and i'm not even suggesting it's crooked. I don't know enough about it. I just know the synergy between youtube, instagram, twitter, snapchat etc. seems to be exploitable to staggering results by those in the know. I'm old.
It's all fine to say an artist is only popular because of promotion and money, but at the end of the week when they tabulate the sales numbers only 40 make the list. What the list never mentions is the other 40000 artists that had money behind them and failed to make that top 40. Marketing and name recognition helps, but if the public doesn't like the product all the money in the world will not force anyone to listen and spread the word.

Feely6

Maybe I wasn't clear. Being "ground down" is not at all what I intended to imply. Rather, the "existential" is something you can't truly appreciate until you are fully responsible for yourself, until you get that there's noone to catch you when you fall. Children can learn that early but those kids tend to overwhelmingly fall in the "circumstantial" environments I described. Smart kids and teens from all walks of life can understand that but, like everything else, until you experience it you can't fully comprehend it. This is why I am hesitant to accept Billie as some wunderkind who speaks to the human experience - most kids are telling me stuff I figured out a while back and have since deconstructed and rebuilt countless times (subconsciously, just by living life as well as observing the people in my life) into something much more complex and sophisticated than their initial revelation about the truth of life.

The despair, depression, and anxiety of today's youth is real but it is NOT ground in real survival and threat (as has been the human race's experience for thousands of years until, like, yesterday) rather in a sense of restlesness, purposelessness, and "junk" values. It's not their fault, noone has shown them an alternative, but their wailing about the purposelessness of life is ground in inexperience and their own cerebral understanding of it, not an actual account of what they know and are. If you saw the movie Titanic, they are like Kate Winslet before she meets Leo Dicaprio - privileged but find all the mannerisms, trappings, and symbolic gestures as dumb, pointless, and stifling.

This is why I liked Lorde. On her first album, she sang about what she knew and she was smart enough to recognize that the trappings of materialism is not worth obsessing over. "Royals" is such a kickass song on every level, including lyrically, and this is from a guy who NEVER listens to lyrics (I tend to focus on the music, melody, singer's emotion and rhythm, etc etc, than what the lyrics are actually speaking about).
Ok, I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree really, but she can only speak from where she is, so I wouldn't make it a criticism.

Her life experience is now going to be within the bubble of fame, so it'll be interesting to see what she does with it as she grows older. She has commented that all the entertainers and performers she has met have been sad in their personal lives, so she at least seems grounded enough to have no illusions about the whole thing. That in itself is quite remarkable for someone her age.

RolandKorg

I only 'discovered' her a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised that i liked those few songs so much. She has a unique style, and her brother's production/writing is nice, in a landscape where everyone else sounds the same.

I hope she translates to longevity, but i fear her hook is something that is too difficult to innovate anew, and might be too much to repeat as is.

Not a fan of the personality, though. Far too 'jaded/entitled millenial' for my tastes, but that's kids today, i guess. I do not relate.

Ubersooner

It's all fine to say an artist is only popular because of promotion and money, but at the end of the week when they tabulate the sales numbers only 40 make the list. What the list never mentions is the other 40000 artists that had money behind them and failed to make that top 40. Marketing and name recognition helps, but if the public doesn't like the product all the money in the world will not force anyone to listen and spread the word.
Never intended for my post to reference her artistry in any way. People like what they like and I get why she is massively liked. But . . . Her teams mastery of social media analytics is industry standard and few if any artists I have examined, maybe 5 others, touches her teams expertise. I'm presently studying this phenom for personal and professional reasons. She did in one year what many marketers spend five doing, and with far less result. The ability to harness talent and shape it to reach a mass audience you can influence is the new market and she is a case study for many. Just a great case study in the new frontier. From politics to pellet grills.

Feely6

Doesn't 'marketisation' ruin everything it touches, though. And how sickening that 'product placement' overshadows creativity and talent, every time. No wonder she's pissed off.

Jayyj

Supporting Member
somebody finds billie & her music “weird”?
i’m confused, again; how are they “weird”?

my g-d, i must be a f***ing alien.
I feel like this whenever the blooze brigade decide to enter a St Vincent thread... is it them that's ridiculously conservative and terrified of things that don't fit their tiny little reality or me that's so completely absorbed in my own weirdness I don't even recognise when someone else is being weird?

Obviously, the possibility that it's both is perfectly valid!

Zandalf

I don't remember
^ Oh. Right!..... Well, I did actually read it a few weeks ago...:eek:
That link, I DID POINT OUT, was a little over-the-top....:rolleyes:
Back to ABB:D....

John 14:6

Opposite reaction for me - I found it depressing and over-produced.
I listened to a couple songs and most of it was whisper, mumble jiberish. The parts where she did actually sing did nothing to wow me. I wanted to be knocked out by something new and unfortunately thought it was not very musical.

spakuloid

My 12 year old daughter loves her music. And she hates it when I say things like “oh look they’re playing that Billy Eyelash song where she whispers to jack in the box music again”.

Trending Topics