billie eillish

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vegarman, Apr 12, 2019.

1. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

stumbled on this article: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/billie-eilish-and-the-changing-face-of-pop
    it is here:
    Billie Eilish and the Changing Face of Pop
    By Doreen St. Félix April 26, 2019

• [​IMG]
    In January, Billie Eilish’s music reached a billion streams on Spotify.

Photograph by Magdalena Wosinska / NYT / Redux
    While performing at Coachella, earlier this month, the singer-songwriter Billie Eilish forgot the words to her song “All Good Girls Go to Hell.” Eilish, who is only seventeen, didn’t seem especially bothered by the lapse. She exuded a cool girl’s sprezzatura, style as nonchalance. Mumbling a little, Eilish wheeled around the stage, like a spinning top about to give out, and then hiked up her shorts, which, baggy and long, were messing with her torque. “****,” she said, turning her back and her mood-ring-gray hair to the audience, “What the **** are the words, though?” The mistake was so charming that it did not seem like a mistake at all. The audience yelped and the Internet squealed. “I love this,” one YouTube commenter said, below a clip of the performance. “She made it sound like it should have been a part of the song.”

Such reactions are the product of more than your average fan worship. I watch the clip of Eilish and feel a strange reassurance. If the teen idols of the nineties or two-thousands had cursed during a performance, they would have been excommunicated by the pop powers that be. Pop stardom, at the turn of the millennium, was an aggressively packaged and censorious business, necessarily hostile to the unplanned and instinctive, to the performance of anything like whimsy. The teens we revered moved in militaristic phalanxes, and, though they were forced to dress and live as virginal sex kittens, they seemed like robots programmed never to act out.

With her album “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?,” which came out in March, Eilish became the first artist born in the two-thousands to rank No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. As its ruminative title suggests, the record is about teen angst, leavened by Eilish’s humor and by her fluency in ironic Internet shorthands. The album opens with “!!!!!!!,” a fourteen-second clip of Eilish giggling with her producing partner and elder brother, Finneas, as they make an announcement: “I have taken out my Invisalign, and this is the album.” Later, on “Bury a Friend,” Eilish samples the rough music of a dental drill used during her actual orthodontist appointment; Eilish has described the song as being written from the perspective of a monster hiding underneath the bed. In the music video, the whites of Eilish’s eyes are blacked out. In a sequence in a rubber room, her back is stabbed with syringes. Often, the darkness feels like satire: the song “My Strange Addiction” (“My doctors can’t explain / My symptoms or my pain”) takes its title from a TLC reality show and samples a scene from “The Office.”

Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O’Connell was born in Highland Park, Los Angeles, “three months after 9/11,” according to a profile of the singer in The Fader. She and Finneas, who is four years her senior, were homeschooled by their parents, who are both working actors. Eilish started writing music when she was eleven. Her freakish precocity recalls that of Taylor Swift, who was a strong enough songwriter to sign a record deal at fourteen. But Eilish has a husky, slurring voice that she can thin out to reedy. In subject and in tone she’s more like Regina Spektor or the godmother of West Coast weariness, Lana Del Rey (with whom she has in common a dalliance with hip-hop). Growing up, Eilish watched the film “Spice World” obsessively, not realizing that the girl group in the movie was real. She struggled with feelings of social inadequacy. “My 11-year-old brain was so sad and I didn’t know how to deal with it,” she told Billboard. She has a cinematic, out-of-body approach to songwriting; Eilish imagines herself as a sneaky jinn or a bored wallflower and then writes what she sees.

Finneas and Eilish have developed an anti-Svengali relationship; the two collaborate on a single, shared persona. In 2015, when she was thirteen, Eilish posted her breakout song, “Ocean Eyes,” to Soundcloud. The song had been written by her brother for his band, but Eilish convincingly translated the maudlin dreaminess of lyrics like “Burning cities and napalm skies / fifteen flares inside those ocean eyes.” The track blew up. Today, she has an enormous following among smart and jaded teen-age girls; in January, her music reached a billion streams on Spotify. Her skittish shuffle-step and spooky melodies are now getting radio play, too, but she remains an Internet phenomenon.

Eilish’s expression droops, and her eyes tilt upward like those of a possessed doll. Her quasi-goth style and horrorcore videos have prompted some critics to warn parents to “beware the pop princesses romanticizing death.” I’d argue that Eilish’s creepy confrontations of loss, fear, uncertainty, and death are just what younger listeners need. A generation that was born into a war and is accustomed to having videos of massacres autoplay on their devices should have limited patience for prefab bubblegum pop.

Eilish provides a covertly girlish perspective on the current male-dominated wave of moody, and pessimistic, “sad pop” music. But she has resisted gendered marketing of her music, and her songs mock teen-girl affectations even as some of them are about pining after a boy. She starts off the track “You Should See Me in a Crown” using a sexy baby voice, which dissolves into a sound that is pleasingly sinister. Like Lorde, the young gadfly she most resembles, Eilish has a severity to her. She sings to those of her generation who have grown exhausted by pill-popping numbness—on the song “Xanny,” she observes, “They just keep doing nothing / Too intoxicated to be scared”—and posits that what is actually seditious is to feel.

Eilish aspires to be “genreless,” a byword among young musicians who think that boundaries are passe. “I don’t want to be in the pop world,” she told the Times reporter Joe Coscarelli, over Facetime, in the “Diary of a Song” video series. Too late. The throne for a Gen Z pop royal is open and available. But if Eilish is the future of pop, as some have predicted, it is because pop is a changed sector, one that is ready to abandon materialist concerns and attend to existential ones.

2. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

i may have to check out her music, in light of the "finding new music" threads that go on TGP....
    i know a couple of my son's friends say they don't like her, not sure why, maybe I'll have to see for myself.
    the interesting thing is she looks like the ultimate outsider...navigating the pop world....

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I don’t like all of her songs, but I enjoy her voice. She has the indie girl vocal thing going on, but a little different. She is like a mix of Lana Del Rey and Leah Siegel.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I love that show, but I dislike her attitude though.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

That’s because you watched one of her videos. It is showing you things it thinks you want to watch. When that happens delete your YouTube history and it will change what it’s loading.

John 14:6 and ckfoxtrot like this.
  6. tone4days

tone4days Member

Wanted to see what the hype was about so checked her on spotify... listened to 3 or 4 tracks... wasn't for me ... I wish her the best and hope her fans enjoy her creative output

John 14:6 and slybird like this.
  7. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Stumbled on her stuff recently. Interesting for sure.

Didn’t read all the posts here.

Does she write her music and/or lyrics? I ask because it feels fabricated to me. I mean she’s from LA and her parents are apparently both well established in the entertainment business. It feels like there are a lot of people manipulating wires behind the scenes.

Someone mentioned Regina Spektor earlier. She is an incredibly talented an innovative writer/composer.

8. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

It's her and her 21(ish) year old brother. He's the keyboard player/bassist in the first concert video.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  9. slybird

slybird Member

I read it was fabricated in their bedrooms by bouncing tracks back and forth.

YYZ likes this.
  10. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Growing popularity based on work. I don’t think her look has nothing to do with it especially since looking pretty is back in now.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I don’t think she’s bad, but I don’t hear anything out of the norm or ground breaking. She has a nice voice and seems creative, but her music is just so, so imo. I see the newest artist in a long line of them being pushed and made out to be something more than they are.

12. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I love this album but like Lana Del Rey I think this sound is basically good for one album.

13. Snail

Snail Member

I just learned about her. She’s pretty good and I was really surprised to hear how young she is and was when she first “made it.”

I believe she was also discovered on YouTube? Anyway I find her story and music impressive, even though it’s not something I’d listen to regularly.

14. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

I wonder the same about 21 Pilots. Very talented but where do they go from here?

15. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I streamed the latest album. Its a bit different. I don't really like the whisper vocals on every song. That got old quick. The music is interesting but not exactly ground breaking. I guess it's more interesting than a Taylor Swift record. A billions views or whatever. I guess that means something.

16. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

a couple of days ago, i saw in my younger son's car that he has her album on CD, i may have to steal it and listen to this....

17. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Paging AC/DC....

FPFL and Melodic Dreamer like this.
  18. Elyk

Elyk Member

I don't care for a lot of her songs but I do like this one:

19. RupertB

RupertB Member

Had our band mate's daughter come up last week & sing "I don't want to be you anymore." It's a departure from our usual stuff but she sounded great & the audience seemed to like it.

20. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

She's a 17 year old young adult with enormous talent and a good gut sense of what works, the good sense to put people around her that she can trust (her brother), coupled with a healthy dose of at least being able to maintain the appearance that she doesn't give a f*** what anyone else thinks. She caught the bolt of lightning.

I like what she does and I hope she handles the ride well and for a long time.

And at some point, as we all do in some form, she's going to regret how she dressed in her teens and she'll likely be embarrassed that she dressed like Pete Davidson. :D

Jayyj and sahhas like this.