• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Billy-Bo Jupiter

exodus

Does anyone have one of these? I kinda like the looks of this guitar, and would love to get one, but man... anything I find is north of $2k, pushing $3k. And they are all made in Japan. No disrespect, but what the hell? I don't understand the pricing on this.

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
If you like the look but want something much more affordable, Pure Salem makes a bit of a clone

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone have one of these? I kinda like the looks of this guitar, and would love to get one, but man... anything I find is north of $2k, pushing $3k. And they are all made in Japan. No disrespect, but what the hell? I don't understand the pricing on this.
What don't you understand? Most of Gretsch's Pro level stuff is made in Japan and costs between $2000-4000. The Billy Bo falls squarely into that camp. The Gretsch's being built in Japan have exceeded any built in the company's history for quality and consistency, they are superb instruments.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
Japanese made guitars turned the corner in the late 1970s, at least the higher end ones did. Anything made in a non-sweatshop environment is going to be more expensive (and worth paying the difference IMO)... Japan, Europe, Australia, etc. have the cost of a decent living priced in to the guitar.

Waxhead

what the hell hehehe - if you're talkin about the Gretsch Billy Bo they've all been MIJ since 2003 and everyone agrees it's the best thing that ever happened to Gretsch.
MIJs are consistently better guitars with better QA/QC.
Billy Bo's are great sounding unique guitars - luv em :)

exodus

Thanks for the info. I really had no idea these were so expensive, and there doesn't seem to be much of a secondary used market. I'd love to try one.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the info. I really had no idea these were so expensive, and there doesn't seem to be much of a secondary used market. I'd love to try one.
Good reasons for that ;)

Damn good reasons.

Last edited:

Trending Topics