Billy Corgan Strat

sonicmayhem

Does anyone else have this guitar? I bought one year ago and is great. I cannot find much about them online and the guitar store I got it can't sell them. Is it just me that thinks these are a guitars overlooked gem.

curmudgeon

I was more of a Siamese Dream fan. '57 reissue strat with R/B/S Lace Sensors is the real signature guitar to me :)

curmudgeon

To mee the guitar is not about sounding like him. I find it a versatile tool to find my own sound.
Yeah, that would be an interesting palate on which to build your own sound I suppose.

But the general consensus on that guitar is, I suppose, the latter - parts. That's good on your part though, hopefully it serves your purpose.

scuba200ft

That guy seems to have dissapeared. Dug him back in the 90's.
Not disappeared at all...Constantly touring. Saw them last yeat here for the first time. Always like the Pumpkins, but had NO idea how good of a player he is...

They were amazing live.

LensOfMadness

I was more of a Siamese Dream fan. '57 reissue strat with R/B/S Lace Sensors is the real signature guitar to me :)
I think this is why his signature guitar didn't do anything. People were expecting Lace Sensors and 57-ish specs, and instead they got single space humbuckers. Don't get me wrong, I played a few when you could still find them in stores and they played and sounded just fine, but far fewer people are aware of the sound he puts out now as opposed to what he sounded like playing Today or Cherub Rock.

Jerry

Gold Supporting Member
Had one in the store that I work at. I found it interesting that it had humbucking Strat size pickups and positions 2 & 4 were not humbucking!

sonicmayhem

The pickups are what attracted me to the guitar. I have always wanted to be a Strat person but I cannot get into them for some reason. This guitar pushed my Les Paul to number two. Position 4 is one of my favorites on a clean setting. It it a single coil of the neck pickup with the middle humbucker. Even since I bought this guitar I have tried more strats with 3 single coils and I am still like meh. The only single coil guitar I have found I really like is a Tele.

Custom50

I played one at long & mcquade a while back. Never plugged it in, but it played really nice.

james...

Silver Supporting Member
Ironically, this guitar will not get you the SP tone (especially the earlier pumpkins).

If you want to get that sound, go get an LP custom.

cutaway

billy's tone is a strat w/ lace pickups.

just a question for you guys about the LP and the SG. i mean, what songs are you listening to that you're hearing those tones?

Brave Ulysses

Not disappeared at all...Constantly touring. Saw them last yeat here for the first time. Always like the Pumpkins, but had NO idea how good of a player he is...

They were amazing live.
Ever see the lost live footage on The Vieuphoria DVD? His playing and tone are exceptional. Of course the footage is from the Pumpkin's prime years. Probably is the only alt rocker to name drop Yngwie in interviews. Very under-appreciated player (never understood how Guitar Player mag never had a cover story of him back in the '90's).

sonicmayhem

I read in an interview that he used an SG for some Siamese Dream parts, in the guitar world series he did he said that he chose the lace sensors because it gave him the low end of an SG and in concert footage os the Machina tour he used SG's. Also I know my SG gives me more of a Siamese Dream/ Mellon Collie sound than my Billy Corgan Strat. James used a Custom Les Paul during the early years.

Brave Ulysses

I read in an interview that he used an SG for some Siamese Dream parts, in the guitar world series he did he said that he chose the lace sensors because it gave him the low end of an SG and in concert footage os the Machina tour he used SG's. Also I know my SG gives me more of a Siamese Dream/ Mellon Collie sound than my Billy Corgan Strat. James used a Custom Les Paul during the early years.
Yeah, this makes total sense. Corgan had the famous "MOM" strat, plus a couple of others he used almost exclusively. There are a lot of tones on "Siamese" that are Gibson all the way. He was known for mixing and matching different amps and guitars to keep his tones a little different. He did this a lot on "Mellon Collie..." I know he used an Epiphone SG and small Fender combo for some of the quieter, folk-rock things in that album. Iha always favored his black LP, but tended to be drowned out much of the time live and on record.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
The Corgan strat is basically a hardtail Highway one with Dimarzio pickups. Its a cool guitar and was priced right when they first came out at $999. But now they want almost $1500 for them - no thanks!

Trending Topics