1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Billy Gibbons and the peso.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Medication, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Medication

Medication Member

I didn't know where else to post this. Is it true that Billy Gibbons would only play with a peso instead of a pick? Thanks!

2. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

He has made that claim many times. With Billy G., however, the legend and the truth often never cross paths.

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Billy and the peso, Brian and the six pence.

Maybe there should be a shootout for the coin with the best tone. :dude

How cool it would be if a penny could be your favorite pick, they certainly aren't good for anything else and you would'nt care if you lost one.

4. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

what about johnny winter & the train squashed quarter?

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think I saw an ad years ago with him endorsing those picks made out of drum cymbal sheets.

6. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I've used metal picks in the studio before.....it can be a cool tonal tweek. As for what the Reverend says and what he does....who knows? :crazyguy

uhhh...I am talking about Billy Gibbons.

Bob

7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Just like Les Paul...lol.

8. arexjay

arexjay Member

Seems like it would be kinda hard to hit all those pinch harmonics with a peso...

9. drolling

drolling Member

Try playing with a peso and see how you like it.

Metal can be an interesting choice for pick material, as everything sounds different. When I got into gypsy jazz, I started using really thick (3mm!) picks made of stone, bone, crystal, horn & hardwoods like ebony & rose. Each has a distinctive tonal property - but a lot's got to do w/the way the pick's cut.

Anything as thick as a peso is gonna sound & work a whole lot better if there's a bevelled edge ground onto the picking side of the coin - that's why I find the train 'squashed' quarter story to be way more believable. It took a few trys to get one that was flattened out on one side only - and it still needed quite a bit of filing & shaping before I could use it as a guitar pick.

Billy also claims to use a .008 high 'E', which he tunes down a couple steps - try that sometime and see how you like the tension (or rather, the complete lack of it:confused:).

While you're at it, hook a half dozen of those skol-can Expandoras together in series and listen hard for your guitar's signal, buried deep, deep down under the roar of the noise floor. Just one of those things is bad enough, but six:messedup?

Don't get my wrong - I loves the Rev! He was a huge influence on my playing when I was starting out in the early 70s..

but his "interviews", on the other hand..:crazy :NUTS ;)

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

I've used many different coins from all over the world. As drolling said, you need to have at least a beveled edge on there for it to work and sound right. The best ones I made were from these specific Mexican coins, but I don't remember what they were 100 of something -maybe pesos? It was the perfect size and thinkness for me. I lost most of the ones I ground down in a house fire.

I do have a couple left, but I only use them in the studio when experimenting. The two best are a silver quarter and that Mexican peso one.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I heard an interview on the radio many years ago with Billy Gibons and he claimed that he began playing with a quarter because he was always losing his picks and he could always find a quarter in a bar. He then claimed that later on he switched to a peso because it got that "Mexican" sound!

12. bob01480

bob01480 Member

Billy never let's the truth get in the way of a good story.

13. the_pedal_nazi

the_pedal_nazi Member

Exactly! Les Paul, of course, invented everything, you???.... Hahahaha

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Just to add some extra flavor to this thread- back in the late 80s I saw Ratt in concert in NC and had rediculously good seats right in front of Warren Dimartini. He flipped his pick out into the audience and I caught it. I was made of metal, likely stainless steel or aluminum. Now I know in the 80s everything was rack mounted and processed to hell, but he always seemed to have a really strong attack, after playing with his pick I totally get where a lot of the tone came from. Dont know what happened to that pick, but it was absolutely helpful in coppin many ZZ Top pinch harmonics too.