Billy Gibbons, Crate V3112, Austin City Limits

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bosstone, Mar 30, 2008.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

I saw Austin City Limits last night and saw Billy Gibbons with Rocky Erickson (Thirteenth Floor Elevators) and playing through one of his Crate V3112 amps. I have heard others mentioning his using a pair of them on stage before. A friend turned me on to these amps so I found one on CL last week and played through it a lot in the last few days. It is everything and more than I had hoped for. The one I got is one of the ones that came with the Tone Tubby speaker. These amps are an incredible value. I didn't think I would ever have a Crate amp but I'm glad I have mine. You can check out the video on ACL.

2. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

He may have actually been playing through a Crate but truth is as I've heard it...you can't believe anything you see on stage with the "Reverend". He's into disguising things and purposefully misleading people..."tongue-in-cheekedly".

Tom

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

All I know is that he has been seen a lot with Crates lately and the ACL stage had a minimum amount of gear on it and no place to hide another amp, unless it was behind or under the stage. In any case, they sound great and by far most of the comments on them here on TGP have been very positive. I don't mind paying good money for a good amp but I really like it when I can pay low money for one. I got mine for $340.00 on CL.

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Oh heck, a lot of made guys are hip to the "V" series. Robert Randolph always tours with them. No better player anywheres.

6. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

The V3112 is not solid state. :) And it sounds good.

7. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

A good sounding amp is a good sounding amp. I have the 2x12 version with old Celestions with Pulsonic cones in it and it gets raves every time I play out with it, and not just from guitar players.

8. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Crates on stage, lit up...just props with negatory volume from cabs on stage.

Talked to soundman, said Rev used a couple of Marshalls and an EQ sytem that made his guitars sound like Pearly Gates.

All guitar sounds came from an isolation cab back stage and fed through monitors. Filtertrons, humbuckers and single coils, played about 5 guitars, sounded like the same guitar!

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

Pardon my skepticism but it doesn't sound like a Marshall and Gibbons, not known as an endorsement whore, isn't likely to give Crate undeserved exposure or sham the Texas ACL audience.

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

I don't have any problem with his endorsing Crate if he is using them and I think he is.

Sorry, but the Mark C+ is gone. It was time for a change.

11. davebc

davebc Member

+1 In Billy's true tradition "hot rod" guy, one really never knows what's under the hood!

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

13. wyatt

wyatt Member

Knopfler liked them enough to use them in the studio for most of his '90's recordings, and even endorse them. But he never felt they would hold up on tour.

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

It's the GAS I tell ya!...The damned GAS! Oh, when will it end?

15. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I know man. Never said you said it were. :) Just adding to your comment, was all.

<--- has an old G60 solid state also

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

:D:AOK

17. bosstone

bosstone Member

Did you ever see the YouTube clip where the guy heaves a Crate amp across the room and they pick it up and play through it and everything works. I read where they did it 5 times before it broke. I can't imagine many amps surviving that. They also carry a 5 year, transferable warranty. I don't think it covers damage form being thrown but it gives you an indication of how well they are made.

18. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I personally think Billy's tone in that YouTube clip isn't that good. What you have is a "rock star" playing a cheap amp so by default the amp is now cool.

19. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

But you is wrong...w/ZZ, he plays through a rig off stage. Marshall heads like I said above.

At HR LV he had a double stack of some very cool looking amps, on close inspection they were Crates with grating like an SLO or a Cornford exposing tubes. The amps were back lit. Stood infront of Rev at stage, the Joint at the HR had @ 600 people, my company threw the party so it was easy to be down front, and the Crates were not playing.

After show, spoke to soundman and he said that one of the four cabs was slaved as a monitor for stage puposes but all the sound was controlled by PA system. Guitar sounds were 100% cool, very accurate to recordings...almost too right. No beaming from amps, always balanced...because they weren't on, sound came from the PA.

20. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Had the G40c celestion chorus model, currently have the VC3112. Both are entertaining amps in the right hands I suppose. The 3112 is a capable amp. A Crate seemingly ginormous cardboard cut out Yngwie display with the strat in hand and foot on the amp use to crack me up everytime I was in the local music store. I didn't get one until years later but the endorsers were surely there, mmm I wonder.