Billy Gibbons is Underrated . . .

Bankston

. . . at playing slide. His touch on those super light gauge strings is unreal.

So this thread can be about . . .

1. Reactions to Billy's slide playing;
2. Other guitarists who aren't known as slide players but are also awesome at it;
3. Other guitarists who are underrated at something they're not known for. Like Tom Morello shredding, Satch playing blues . . . etc.

. . . . Annnnnnd GO

Phil3

46389067_2092822757698859_87966685478256640_n.jpg

Gibbons is cool. He preaches cool. I don't really have much else too add to the thread.

What is that guitar he's holding though? I've never seen anything like it.

Porschefender

Silver Supporting Member
46389067_2092822757698859_87966685478256640_n.jpg

Gibbons is cool. He preaches cool. I don't really have much else too add to the thread.

What is that guitar he's holding though? I've never seen anything like it.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
His slide playing fits, but not monumental. His tone is always great, he plays with soul.

flare4roach

Even as a kid, I was always taken with Billy's slide on "I Thank You" from Degeullo. It doesn't sound like he showing off and he only uses it on the outro solo. It's obvious it's in standard tuning but he just makes it WORK.

MaxTwang

The Rev is underrated for his genius at marketing a blues band into a 50 year cultural phenomen. His Wikipedia bio gives some insight into Billy.

Gibbons was born to Frederick Royal ("Freddie") and Lorraine (née Duffy) Gibbons in the Tanglewood neighborhood of Houston, Texas. His father was an entertainer, orchestra conductor, and concert pianist who worked alongside his second cousin, art director Cedric Gibbons, for Samuel Goldwyn at MGM Studios. When Gibbons was five years old, his mother took him and his sister to see Elvis Presley. At age seven, Gibbons's father took him to a BB King recording session. A percussionist at first, Gibbons was sent by his father to New York City to study with Tito Puente.[3] In 1963, Gibbons received his first electric guitar following his 13th birthday, a sunburst Gibson Melody Maker, accompanied by a Fender Champ amplifier, and was influenced by guitarists such as Jimmy Reed.​
While attending Warner Brothers' art school in Hollywood, California, Gibbons engaged with his first bands including The Saints, Billy G & the Blueflames, and The Coachmen. By 18, Gibbons formed an artfully designed band, conceptually inspired by friend and fellow musician, Roky Erickson and The 13th Floor Elevators, naming the group the Moving Sidewalks, penning the hit single "99th Floor", and engaging in a friendship with Jimi Hendrix.[4][5

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Billy’s slide playing?

Understated maybe, but not underrated.

The former being a good quality.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about being a super great slide player. But he has exquisite touch & tone. As well as his regular guitar playing. He's a touch & tone bad arse.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom