Billy Gibbons on SG "Lil Red"

ewheel

The Rev says he's got it strung up with light gauge starting with .008! Sounded very impressive through the Magnatone.

IIIBOOMERIII

Silver Supporting Member
The Rev says he's got it strung up with light gauge starting with .008! Sounded very impressive through the Magnatone.

The Reverend said BB King uses .008 and this lead him to use .007 strings.

I have even seen an interview with the Rev's guitar tech where he said he uses .007 strings.

If you look at Daryl's House again he mentions it at 39:39.

BigAl

If you check Billy's Rock & Roll Gearhead book from a few years back there is a page in the guitar section on "Lil Red" - his 1961 pre-SG Les Paul Standard. The guitar he is playing in this video looks to be a modern take on his '61 (the pinstriping looks identical although the original has pickguard, covered trem, traditional knobs, and pickup selector). This is on page 136 of the book.

guitz

that was pretty cool....killer looking SG, but the tunes ,like all of ZZ's recent concerts was slowed down and you could really see the simplicity and repetitiveness of blues based rock ZZ Top does versus the sophisticated changes of Daryls tunes that are more R & B and pop based....Guess that's why blues is the first style that's taught in books,etc...not saying it's less cool, I just enjoyed hearing the multiple cool chord changes and more intricate arrangements more , I think, of Daryls material but still love Billy's playing. Daryls new guit players are really good too.

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
Looks as if the trimmed the headstock down a bit, from the larger SG to a 50's LP silhouette...and all the parts on the sideways vibrato have been chrome played!!! (The Rev loves his Chrome!)

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
That's the best he's sounded in 35 years IMHO. Love Billy, but to me he jumped the shark with all that fuzz, both on his pedal board and on his guitars. Back to the basics with the good clean playing and good sound that made him famous.

shwn

The FUZZ! I love the tones he gets on La Futura, but I like what I heard on this vid, too... I can't believe how no matter what he plays thru he still sounds like The Rev...

Dig them crazy guitars!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom