Billy Gibbons'Blue Jean Blues' guitar used?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by fretfreak76, Jul 16, 2009.

1. fretfreak76

fretfreak76 Member

Does anyone know what Guitar Billy G used on Blue Jean Blues;sounds like a Strat or a Tele? I hear a distinct twang in his tone on this tune. Sure does'nt sound like 'Pearly Gates'?:dunno

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

59 (?) Strat, maple board, hardtail, neck and middle pickups, straight into the board

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

You're thinking about "Fool for your Stockings"...that was Billy's 55 Hardtail Strat direct...

"Blue Jean Blues", not sure...but i've often wondered myself...

BADHAK likes this.
  4. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

no, i think im right (except the year) ill get out the interview when i get home. unless Billy was wrong or misleading

5. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I was thinking he said that it was his Broadcaster on the neck pickup, but maybe I'm thinking of "Jesus"

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Billy's book does say that Jesus was his Broadcaster...

7. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Alright that's the one I was thinking of. I think he claimed Blue Jean Blues was a blue strat into a 69 Marshall 100 watt then right?

8. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

im as sure as i can be that its a strat straight into board. It doesnt sound like a strat thru a marshall, fender or any amp. its just pure strat

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

But Gibson says he used Pearly Gates on every ZZ Top song.;)

10. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

:jo D;oh!

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Sounds like a strat to me.

27sauce and Jollyb like this.
  12. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well I've heard many theories about this. Closest I ever got to that tone was a Tele neck pickup into a MV Marshall. Obviously he didn't use a MV Marshall!

So to me the hardtail Strat on neck pickup sounds good. It definitely isn't neck + middle. And I have read many times about a 100W Marshall made into a 2x10 combo. Would 2x 10s been able to handle a SL back then??

Whatever he used it sounds incredible. One of my very favourite guitar tones ever.

Grubgoat likes this.
  13. fretfreak76

fretfreak76 Member

Indeed Sir!!!!:beer

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The 2x10 Marshall Combo didn't happen until the mid 90's...that amp is all over Rhythmeen and I've often wondered what speakers he used to run Super Lead into a 2x10 cab!

15. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

Is it certain that it's not a Les Paul on neck pickup? That's what it always sounded like to me. A dead ringer for some of Peter Green's woodier tones.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    MBreinin, woof* and dazar like this.
  16. fretfreak76

fretfreak76 Member

Poppa ya better go back and revisit this tune cause it sure does not sound like Peter's tone to these ears as i don't recall Mssr.Green ever having a distinct "twang' in his sound.:drink

BADHAK likes this.
  17. Blues Fuse

Blues Fuse Member

Billy said in an interview that "Blue Jean Blues" was a '54 hardtail Strat.

18. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

this is taken directly from the the Guitar Legends ZZ Top Special Collectors edition, page 19:

about 'Blue Jean Blues'

"For the song, he played a maple-necked '59 strat, and the resulting clean tone shimmers with amazing depth and clarity. 'That was another studio experiment,' says Billy. 'the guitar was plugged directly into the board. Our equipment truck had broken down and we had no amps, but the clock was running and the engineer said 'Well, if you want to get something on tape, we can plug your guitar straight into the board.'

it didnt say about the neck mid pickup (i thought i remembered that from the article) but it does sound more like a neck pickup alone

John 14:6 and Jollyb like this.
  19. Jollyb

Jollyb Silver Supporting Member

I heard this on the radio today and I have to say it may be the best pure Blues tone ever. Def. A strat. :cool: Killer.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    BADHAK likes this.
  20. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

I believe what Billy says is accurate in this case because it sounds exactly like what you'd expect from that setup. Of course, we're talking about a real 50's Strat and probably a Neve console, a hand-wired tube console with those legendary preamps, telefunken tubes, mullard caps or whatever they used haha! Basically those old consoles have somewhat similar circuits/components to the collectible vintage amps we drool over- they're not THAT far removed from something like a tweed Bassman inside, whereas they're absolutely NOTHING like a Macbook Pro.

I'm mentioning this to prevent future threads entitled "why doesn't my MIM strat sound like Billy Gibbons plugged directly into my computer". A current Strat into a current production console will not yield a similar result to Blue Jean Blues because the equipment is completely and radically different.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018